Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing Related Injuries (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-related-injuries-t298156.html)

SewingSew 07-10-2018 04:13 AM

Sewing Related Injuries

Have you ever injured yourself while sewing? I have sewn through my finger, cut the tip of my finger off, and spilled scalding water on my hand from an iron. My accidents all happened years ago. I hope my lucky streak continues. I sound pretty dangerous, don't I? Last year, I mended my daughter's winter coat and accidentally left a pin inside the seam. I don't know how I managed that.

Tartan 07-10-2018 04:26 AM

​Sewn into my finger a couple of times and trimmed my fingernails once with the rotary cutter. None of my injuries were serious.

SusieQOH 07-10-2018 05:01 AM

No injuries I can think of but I once sent my 6 year old son to school with the hems of his pants pinned. I got them back from the teacher!!! What was I thinking?

toverly 07-10-2018 05:04 AM

Nothing major, I go by the rule that it's not a quilt till it gets bled on. Just pin pricks and scissor nips. I keep tiny bandaids handy. But then I do use a klutz glove. A fellow Guild member cut herself to the bone with a rotary cutter. Yikes!

recycler 07-10-2018 05:22 AM

I also have had nothing major...pure luck! Yesterday morning a good friend of mine was anxious to get to cutting for a new quilt, was using her rotary cutter and somehow it fell and landed---cutter end down right on her foot! It severed the tendons in her little toe and the one next to it! She was so upset and mad at herself until it dawned onto her that it was her left foot, so she could put that up on a chair and still sew! Life was good again! She is 85 years old and I've never known anyone with as much energy and gumption as she has!

nativetexan 07-10-2018 05:36 AM

oh yes, my rotary cutter hit a wrinkle or something and skipped over my ruler and cut my thumb. it took four hours to stop bleeding but by then i was sitting in the emergency room. they only had to cover it with a ton of gauze. later i had to wear a metal guard on it when working until the nerves stopped being so sensitive.
i recommend the rotary Olfa that will automatically move the blade back in closed position when you take your hand off. safety. no cut feet if dropped or digging around on your cutting table.

bearisgray 07-10-2018 05:41 AM

I've tipped my chair when I was trying to reach something that had fallen on the floor.

sewbizgirl 07-10-2018 06:09 AM

I have sewn through fingers several times... but my most serious injuries have been with the rotary cutter. I've cut off the end of the same pinkie finger, twice. I mean, the tip of the finger, completely off and lying on the table! I'm pretty good and experienced with wound care (from hubby's many surgeries) so I tended the wounds myself, and actually got the fingertips to fuse back on, with blood flow and everything! It takes a long time before you can feel anything in the fingertip again, but eventually even that comes back. Our bodies are amazing!

Not looking forward to that ever happening again! I try to be very careful now, and not cut too fast.

grannie cheechee 07-10-2018 07:04 AM

Cut my index finger with the rotary cutter. So, fast didn't feel a thing. Grabbed some scraps (white) and headed to the garage. Before I could say anything my DH says don't bleed on my garage floor. We were both laughing by this time. He bandaged me up, and I didn't have to go to the ER. I'm more careful now.

dunster 07-10-2018 07:21 AM

I've had the normal small run-ins with the rotary cutter, running bare feet into pins left on the floor, and hitting a finger with a sewing machine needle. But two friends of mine have had serious quilting-related injuries. They needed to reach something up high in the quilting room, stood on something they shouldn't have, and fell. Both suffered broken bones.