Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Related Injuries

Sewing Related Injuries

Have you ever injured yourself while sewing? I have sewn through my finger, cut the tip of my finger off, and spilled scalding water on my hand from an iron. My accidents all happened years ago. I hope my lucky streak continues. I sound pretty dangerous, don't I? Last year, I mended my daughter's winter coat and accidentally left a pin inside the seam. I don't know how I managed that.

Power Poster
    ​Sewn into my finger a couple of times and trimmed my fingernails once with the rotary cutter. None of my injuries were serious.

No injuries I can think of but I once sent my 6 year old son to school with the hems of his pants pinned. I got them back from the teacher!!! What was I thinking?

Nothing major, I go by the rule that it's not a quilt till it gets bled on. Just pin pricks and scissor nips. I keep tiny bandaids handy. But then I do use a klutz glove. A fellow Guild member cut herself to the bone with a rotary cutter. Yikes!

I also have had nothing major...pure luck! Yesterday morning a good friend of mine was anxious to get to cutting for a new quilt, was using her rotary cutter and somehow it fell and landed---cutter end down right on her foot! It severed the tendons in her little toe and the one next to it! She was so upset and mad at herself until it dawned onto her that it was her left foot, so she could put that up on a chair and still sew! Life was good again! She is 85 years old and I've never known anyone with as much energy and gumption as she has!

Blog Entries
    oh yes, my rotary cutter hit a wrinkle or something and skipped over my ruler and cut my thumb. it took four hours to stop bleeding but by then i was sitting in the emergency room. they only had to cover it with a ton of gauze. later i had to wear a metal guard on it when working until the nerves stopped being so sensitive.
    i recommend the rotary Olfa that will automatically move the blade back in closed position when you take your hand off. safety. no cut feet if dropped or digging around on your cutting table.

Power Poster
    I've tipped my chair when I was trying to reach something that had fallen on the floor.

I have sewn through fingers several times... but my most serious injuries have been with the rotary cutter. I've cut off the end of the same pinkie finger, twice. I mean, the tip of the finger, completely off and lying on the table! I'm pretty good and experienced with wound care (from hubby's many surgeries) so I tended the wounds myself, and actually got the fingertips to fuse back on, with blood flow and everything! It takes a long time before you can feel anything in the fingertip again, but eventually even that comes back. Our bodies are amazing!

Not looking forward to that ever happening again! I try to be very careful now, and not cut too fast.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cut my index finger with the rotary cutter. So, fast didn't feel a thing. Grabbed some scraps (white) and headed to the garage. Before I could say anything my DH says don't bleed on my garage floor. We were both laughing by this time. He bandaged me up, and I didn't have to go to the ER. I'm more careful now.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

I've had the normal small run-ins with the rotary cutter, running bare feet into pins left on the floor, and hitting a finger with a sewing machine needle. But two friends of mine have had serious quilting-related injuries. They needed to reach something up high in the quilting room, stood on something they shouldn't have, and fell. Both suffered broken bones.

Blog Entries
    I use the magnet pole from Harbor Freight for pins, etc. Love sharp scissors and cut myself many time, bandaids kept handy

I sewed thru my finger when making my wedding dress for my first marriage. I also sewed my finger and the needle broke off in my finger. I had to see an ortho to have it removed. Everyone got a good laugh out of "I sewed thru my finger and the needle broke off in it". I still have the Xrays of that. Other than that there's been the usually pin pricks and the occasional rotary cutter incident, but nothing really bad.

I keep a lot of fabrics in boxes on shelves high on the walls. I have one of those handy dandy little step stools that I use to reach them. Some of the best money I ever spent.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini

Cut myself twice with a rotary cutter, and put a needle through my finger once. However, my real injury is a partially torn tendon in my right thumb from 15 years of rotary cutting. Not fun.

Ouch!!! Some of y'all's accidents seem to be really serious! Broken bones! Rotary cutters cutting fingers tips off! Needles breaking off in fingers!

I had minor boo-boos in comparison. I did the finger sewing trick a couple of times, got snipped by scissors a few times (before rotary cutters were invented), sore finger tips from too small thimbles, a finger nail trimming from a rotary cutter, bunches of needle pricks in fingers, ... but nothing serious.

I guess quilting can be compared to skydiving!! Y'all, let's be careful out there!!!

Sewed through my finger tip once. It happened so fast that I didn't know I had done so until I moved my hand and the sewing machine came with it. Amazingly, it wasn't particularly painful, and healed much faster than I thought it would.

I almost poked my eye out with my seam ripper, too. Seam rippers must never be used with real pressure and pointed toward the face. As it was, my eyebrow was grazed.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Read all Y'all's stories and now I'm scared to go into my quilting studio...

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    My mother sewed over her finger when I was a little girl & I can remember my dad & 2 brothers running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to get towels for the blood while mommy sat very calm & raised the needle up to get her finger free Then went to the er on base to get looked after. (men can't trust them to find a towel when you need it.hehe).
    I usually slice my hand with the rotary cutter while changing direction. Nothing too bad Be Careful out they Ladies
    catherine antone

There's a scar on my left forearm from burning myself on the iron. Worst so far was the time the walking foot on an industrial sewing machine came down on my thumb. Luckily it just grabbed a little of my thumb and I had no broken bones.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    It was an apprentice weaving student who was pretty much deaf. She wanted me to turn my head so that she could read my lips. When I did that I took my eyes away from the rotary cutter and sliced off the side of my left index finger. The deaf lady went bonkers and I had to get the neighbor to drive me to meet a paramedic who told me it wasn't enough to sew back on. We went on to a Dr. that was open and he said the same thing, tossed my slice into the trash, bandaged my finger and sent me home.

I've had a Dritz rotary cutter since I started quilting seriously about 15 years ago. It also retracts by itself as soon as pressure is off of it. I can't imagine having to close it every time I'm done using it but I know it would become a habit real quick but I still love my "does it automatically" cutter. Be careful out there ladies.

Blog Entries
    Interesting that you started this thread now. :-) Just this last Saturday, I was working on the project from the netherworld. Finally decided to get it done...leave the wrinkles, just get it done! That was when the needle went through my index finger. My "ow" was different enough to bring my husband to the sewing room. We got the needle out of the machine, then were able to take the presser foot off, and the needle went through diagonally, so it missed the bone. Hubs didn't like the look of it, so I got out the pliers and pulled it out.
    On the 4th of July, I burned the back of the same hand on the BBQ grill. Saw the doc yesterday, and he said he'd tell me to go home and take some time off, but home didn't sound like a safe place!! Too bad he didn't suggest a vacation!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I got my index finger to close to the needle and the bar ripped my fingernail (going full speed of course). I've gotten close with sewing up my finger though.

Bear....I did that too just two days ago....still sore.....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    It was an apprentice weaving student who was pretty much deaf. She wanted me to turn my head so that she could read my lips. When I did that I took my eyes away from the rotary cutter and sliced off the side of my left index finger. The deaf lady went bonkers and I had to get the neighbor to drive me to meet a paramedic who told me it wasn't enough to sew back on. We went on to a Dr. that was open and he said the same thing, tossed my slice into the trash, bandaged my finger and sent me home.
    I got my fingertips to grow back on by wrapping them with pressure (but not enough to impair good circulation, which you need!) and using Xeroform gauze over the wound. It is gauze infused with vaseline and iodine. It makes the wound heal like magic! I had no stitches... the stitches would have messed up the finger tip piece. Drs will tell you the tip cut off isn't worth fooling with because they don't want to bother with it. But you can get it to grow back on with careful placement and changing the dressing daily, with the Xeroform gauze. I've done it three times, the third being a chopping accident while cutting veggies for cooking.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yup! I’ve lost count of the finger sticks from pins and needles. Bashed knuckles with the screw that keeps the machine needle in place. Cut off the tip of the middle finger with the rotary cutter. I even broke my leg when I was going to pick up a quilt from the LA (retrieved quilt before getting X-rays).

All this just proves that quilting really is a blood-sport.
    Blessed are the cracked
    for they let in the light

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast