Sewing Related Injuries

Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 AM

I got my index finger to close to the needle and the bar ripped my fingernail (going full speed of course). I've gotten close with sewing up my finger though.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 AM

Bear....I did that too just two days ago....still sore.....!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
It was an apprentice weaving student who was pretty much deaf. She wanted me to turn my head so that she could read my lips. When I did that I took my eyes away from the rotary cutter and sliced off the side of my left index finger. The deaf lady went bonkers and I had to get the neighbor to drive me to meet a paramedic who told me it wasn't enough to sew back on. We went on to a Dr. that was open and he said the same thing, tossed my slice into the trash, bandaged my finger and sent me home.
I got my fingertips to grow back on by wrapping them with pressure (but not enough to impair good circulation, which you need!) and using Xeroform gauze over the wound. It is gauze infused with vaseline and iodine. It makes the wound heal like magic! I had no stitches... the stitches would have messed up the finger tip piece. Drs will tell you the tip cut off isn't worth fooling with because they don't want to bother with it. But you can get it to grow back on with careful placement and changing the dressing daily, with the Xeroform gauze. I've done it three times, the third being a chopping accident while cutting veggies for cooking.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Yup! I’ve lost count of the finger sticks from pins and needles. Bashed knuckles with the screw that keeps the machine needle in place. Cut off the tip of the middle finger with the rotary cutter. I even broke my leg when I was going to pick up a quilt from the LA (retrieved quilt before getting X-rays).

All this just proves that quilting really is a blood-sport.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Slightly off topic from quilting, but I used to sew leather by hand and I tore my rotator cuff. That was painful for a long time.

Watson
Old 07-11-2018, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=cashs_mom;8091535]I sewed thru my finger when making my wedding dress for my first marriage.

I think I might have wondered if this was a bad omen... LOL
Old 07-11-2018, 12:54 PM

I ran over a finger tip and my first thought was, "Don't bleed on the fabric!" So I bled all over the floor. On the plus side, I didn't wash dishes or do any cleaning for at least a week.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM

Oh my and your still sewing? 😂 I cannot think of anything like that I may have poked my finger once or twice when sewing a button on. 😆
Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Administrator

i can recall at least two occasions on which i cut myself being reckless with the rotary cutter.
once i managed to snip myself with the scissors. [i still don't know how i managed to do that. lol] teeeeeny, tiny snip. but it bled like crazy.

i have thrown my back out a couple of times bending to cut on a too-low surface.
you haven't lived until you have to call your boss to report that you can't come to work because of a quilting injury. ROFLMBO
Old 07-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i can recall at least two occasions on which i cut myself being reckless with the rotary cutter.
once i managed to snip myself with the scissors. [i still don't know how i managed to do that. lol] teeeeeny, tiny snip. but it bled like crazy.

i have thrown my back out a couple of times bending to cut on a too-low surface.
you haven't lived until you have to call your boss to report that you can't come to work because of a quilting injury. ROFLMBO
That is hilarious!!!! And maybe a little suspicious... LOL