View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
It was an apprentice weaving student who was pretty much deaf. She wanted me to turn my head so that she could read my lips. When I did that I took my eyes away from the rotary cutter and sliced off the side of my left index finger. The deaf lady went bonkers and I had to get the neighbor to drive me to meet a paramedic who told me it wasn't enough to sew back on. We went on to a Dr. that was open and he said the same thing, tossed my slice into the trash, bandaged my finger and sent me home.
I got my fingertips to grow back on by wrapping them with pressure (but not enough to impair good circulation, which you need!) and using Xeroform gauze over the wound. It is gauze infused with vaseline and iodine. It makes the wound heal like magic! I had no stitches... the stitches would have messed up the finger tip piece. Drs will tell you the tip cut off isn't worth fooling with because they don't want to bother with it. But you can get it to grow back on with careful placement and changing the dressing daily, with the Xeroform gauze. I've done it three times, the third being a chopping accident while cutting veggies for cooking.