Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing on vintage sewing machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-vintage-sewing-machines-t297404.html)

braidingaayinNEK 06-05-2018 04:06 AM

Sewing on vintage sewing machines?

Do any of you share my enthusiasm for old sewing machines? I have 7 - 6 old Singers, and 1 called a Honeymoon. I have rescued and restored most of them, and try to use them in rotation; so they all stay fresh and oiled. So, when I sew, part of the creating (for me) is appreciating the old gal (machine) who helped make it possible. I made 1 Singer into a hand-crank in order to carry it out and use in a group.

Ii would love to hear from others who sew on these precious elders. I would also love to learn more about their histories & uses - especially the "Honeymoon" that recently joined the family.

NZquilter 06-05-2018 04:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yes! Many of us love vintage sewing machines and use them all the time! Here is the thread where we all chat about them and ask questions and such. https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...thusiasts-f22/

I don't have an extensive collection, and a couple of mine still need restoring, but at least they are safe and oiled and loved. My favorite is my 15-91 that I for all my sewing. [ATTACH=CONFIG]595526[/ATTACH]

Welcome to the board!

Tartan 06-05-2018 04:38 AM

I do most of my sewing on my Berninas but I do sew on my Singers as well. I have a Singer treadle that I use for sewing through thick things like denim welts and upholstery fabrics. I have a Singer Featherweight that I use for travel sewing. I am currently stripping and restoring its box as the animal glue smell was pretty disgusting. My son just picked me up a pretty little Singer 99K that I am getting oiled and am waxing the cabinet. I have ordered a plate for it but it hasn't arrived yet. I am not really a collector but I do have a small collection I guess.:D

leonf 06-05-2018 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595540[/ATTACH]Small collection, tartan, watch out they can grow. I currently have at least 3 99s, 66s, 28s, FWs, White rotaries, and Elna Supermatics.

dunster 06-05-2018 10:39 AM

I've pieced the last 3 quilts on my new-to-me Singer 301. My modern day Bernina is getting lonely.

QuiltNama 06-05-2018 11:00 AM

Oh yea, they are my babies. Always take my FW to classes with me, have 2-301's and sew everyday on a 260 Pfaff that was my Grannies. My old machines are like fine wine. LOL Brenda

SusieQOH 06-05-2018 02:01 PM

I love piecing on my Featherweight. I like to sew and watch the Yankees and the FW is so portable that it's easy for me to bring it downstairs and stitch away. I love the sound of it too :)
My modern machines are upstairs so I can't watch baseball up there.

braidingaayinNEK 06-05-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8071055)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595540[/ATTACH]Small collection, tartan, watch out they can grow. I currently have at least 3 99s, 66s, 28s, FWs, White rotaries, and Elna Supermatics.

Is that a train car to your right?

Irishrose2 06-05-2018 07:53 PM

1 Elna 62C, 2 Singer 301s, 2 Redeye 66s, 1 Admiral (Art Deco from 50s), 1 Necchi VN(1949), 1 Gorgeous White Family with the inlaid pearl, 1 Universal (think 1956 Chevolet grill), 2 Montgomery Wards 1 from 50s with shamrocks and one from 70s with multiple cams. Basically I use 1 301, the Elna and the older MW. I sold a 128 and gave away a Leader treadle, but would like to get rid of more.

pal 06-06-2018 05:17 AM

I have a 1947 Featherweight and my Mom's 1947 Kenmore, among others. Here's how I got my Featherweight.

Dad's neighbor died. The family had an antique dealer come, and then the family cleaned out the house. They put all of the left-overs in the street to be picked over or picked up. Dad found a wooden box and took it home because anything in such a nice box had to be good. He called me up and said "Patti, I've got something that you can't live without - something that you've wanted all of your life and didn't know it" - and, sure enough, he was right! I use it every day. Thank you, Daddy.