Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing on vinyl (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-vinyl-t191202.html)

miriam 06-09-2012 02:45 AM

I used to use teflon grease - can you still buy that?

jitkaau 06-09-2012 02:55 AM

There is a roller foot that is useful. However, the best one may be to adjust the pressure of your foot if possible.

Amythyst02 06-09-2012 03:42 AM

I used the teflon foot and it worked great.

Sallyflymi 06-09-2012 03:48 AM

I used silicone spray. When i worked at a upholstery shop. Just sprayed the vinyl and sewed beautifully.

miriam 06-09-2012 03:51 AM

maybe it was silicone grease - it has been 35 years ago... worked like a charm

w1613s 06-09-2012 05:39 AM

A very, very long item ago I made a rain cape out of vinyl. The way I solved the sticking problem was with lonq, thin pieces of paper between the presser foot/needle combination and then the vinyl. My choice of paper was newsprint: came free with the morning news, disintegrated well when I ripped or soaked it off. Do not use the printed on part!

Yes, it was a pain but my Elna SU didn't drop a stitch and is still going 36 years later. I may have my ashes inserted in it and then sealed somehow. Elna Supers rule! The cape ultimately went to Good Will - also years later.

Pat

MaggieLou 06-09-2012 06:56 AM

I made some vinyl covers for a friend's display cases. He does antique and gun shows. I just used a leather needle and heavy duty thread and sewed it on my vintage Kenmore. I didn't have any problems with it. You probably need to use a longer stitch than usual. I think I used about an 8. He's been using them for months without any problem. The vinly I used did have a fabric backing. Maybe that's what the problem is. Does your's have a fabric backing?

Chasing Hawk 06-09-2012 09:23 AM

I haven't sewn any vinyl on my home sewing machines. I did sew miles and miles of it when I owned my Upholstery shop. I had a Pfaff 545 industrial machine with a walking foot. It sewed vinyl like there was no tomorrow.

I do know..........be very careful in where you place your stitching. Cause if you make a mistake, it's start over time. Vinyl and leather are so unforgiving when it comes to needle marks. :)

Stitchit123 06-09-2012 09:35 PM

wax paper works real good with a all purpose foot -We reulpholstered a cabin cruiser last year and the softer type vynil was a pain til we finally tried wax paper from then on it went smooth as a babies bottom. Oh you will have to change needles quite often if its a large project -once the needle gets dull it will also give you a little problem feeding and the holes start looking like you used a hole punch instead of a needleand the other thing I learned while doing that project was I really hate sewing vynil

mountain deb 06-10-2012 12:01 AM

My first thought would be to try baby powder or cornstarch on the vinyl. Just an idea....