Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing for yourself? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-yourself-t217377.html)

Jingle 03-26-2013 12:22 PM

I use to sew clothes for myself and two Daughters. Now I just make quilt and hem curtains for our windows.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-26-2013 01:28 PM

I think you sew clothes to get exactly what you want. The only time I really see a major cost savings in in formals. You can always do a formal gown cheaper than you can buy a new one.

Stitchit123 03-27-2013 04:05 AM

If its one you will use over and over and it comes with pieces for an entire outfit its worth the money -but only if JoAnn or Hancock has them on sale.I will also tear something apart that fits but has seen better days and make it into my pattern. Keep your eyes open in 2nd hand stores for patterns and notions. Before pitching old cloths remove zippers and buttons. I recycle as much as I can. Heck I'm still using patterns that are 40yrs old that all I've had to do is lengthen the pants, I've always worn my skirts at or below my knees.

Dragonomine 03-27-2013 04:28 AM

I don't sew clothes. I used to, but everything at the store (compared to the cost of fabric) is much cheaper. I will still make some costumes, however. Depending on the quality/price of a bought one on-line. For cosplay/sci-fi conventions you really need a fabulous outfit. :) My daughter has been making Assassin's Creed Connor's outfit for several weeks. The con is the 6th. Now, this has cost her a few hundred to make but it's unbelievable. And she's only 16 and never had a sewing class! I just taught her a few basic things and she picked it up from there.

toolazy 03-27-2013 04:58 AM

Did for years but not much anymore -- discount stores are cheaper. I will still sew special-occasion things and when I want a pair of pants that actually fit ..... I do still sew a fair bit for the home -- draperies, cushion covers, dog beds.

Wanabee Quiltin 03-27-2013 05:09 AM

I sewed everything for years and years. Loved being creative and it was cheap. But not now. I can go to a resell shop and buy excellent brands. I wear mostly knit tops and rayon slacks and I can get the top brands for about $3.00. I travel a great deal camping and I can pick up anything I want, sometimes brand new. Bought a bathrobe for $5.00 that had the tags still on it, would have cost about $50 at Macy's and it was absolutely beautiful. Now I use all my creative energy for quilting.

Abby'smom 03-27-2013 06:17 AM

For quite a few years, I made my own clothes -- :( Then I got unhappy with fit, quality of fabric, general look of clothes, price -- and I discovered sales at Macys and Dillards -- and now that I have retired, I wear mainly jeans and tshirts!! -- my sewing is quilt making!! :)

Diana Lea 03-27-2013 07:53 AM

I like being creative in what ever I am doing. Clothes. Quilts. Scapebooking. I just discovered kaleidoscope quilts. What fun is that. Every turn of the fabric gives you another look. Try something new to you. Do not stop learning. I am just saying!

roserips 03-27-2013 10:56 AM

I enjoy sewing for myself since I only wear dresses and do not use dry cleaning. My dresses as a rule have pockets and no zipper just pull on over my head. So I have dresses that fit have been washed hundreds of times and still look nice I actually wear the fabric out and the cost is kept down since I use fabric found at thrift stores and yard sales.

Mariposa 03-27-2013 10:58 AM

I don't sew clothes. Easier to go buy! :)