Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Shipping charges - Your opinion desired! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/shipping-charges-your-opinion-desired-t54703.html)

QKO 07-15-2010 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
This is kind of a double edge sword especially with me refurbishing/restoring vintage machines. Everyone digs the free shipping but on something that big and heavy its impossible unless I go up on my fees.

I can hit the shipping within a couple of dollars no matter what part of the world your in because I have shipped SO many machines!! I personally do not mind paying the shipping, but its those folks that sell low and charge astronomical shipping rates to make up for the difference that I can not stand. You know the "Buy it Now" for .99 and pay $50 shipping and handling. :roll:

But if you ship enough and know about the approximate weight of things then you can hit it pretty close to actual shipping cost.

Billy

We've been using weight/distance based shipping because it's totally fair to all of our customers. If we're shipping just a few items, we are always accurate with our shipping quotes. The problem is never with shipping one item or two items, that's totally predictable. It's when a customer orders 6 or 8 or more different items that the shipping quotes get out of line, because you have to account for packaging weights, which are additive when estimating but not when actually shipping, whether the customer buys one or 10 items.

It's a little complicated, but basically what happens is that people get over-quoted for shipping and walk away, even though their actual charges are going to be lower. A lot of stores address this by rolling the packaging weight into a handling charge, but a lot of customers don't like handling charges.

So, we're considering going to flat-rate shipping and lowering our free shipping limits, to compete with Amazon, who does this. (Fabric.com is owned by Amazon). Thus all the questions.

I really appreciate all the responses so far, keep them coming! :thumbup:

mollymct 07-15-2010 05:04 PM

a. Do lower free shipping limits entice you to buy more, or less?

If I am close, a free shipping limit MIGHT entice me to buy a few dollars more. I'd say Amazon gets me there pretty often! Regarding heavy items, I would understand that above a certain weight, free shipping could not apply.

b. Is predictability of shipping costs in your ordering important to you, or would you rather be surprised when your shipping cost is lower than quoted?

I like predictability. I frequent online shops that I know what to expect shipping-wise when short on shopping time, if all other factors are equal.

c. Do you walk away from an order if shipping costs are quoted too high, or do you take the time to check the store's shipping policy?

I probably would look elsewhere.

d. Does having a lower free shipping limit compensate you for paying too much for shipping on smaller orders?

I think so...I've never actually thought about it! But the idea of a shop with a reasonable flat-rate shipping cost and a lower free shipping limit is appealing.

CAROLJ 07-15-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I tend to purchase from free shipping sites. Like free shipping on orders over $35. or $50. I like to know up front what the shipping is.

Ditto, plus I will buy more to make the minimum, (as the seller wants.)

sandpat 07-15-2010 05:58 PM

Oh...some tough questions. Shipping costs are important to me and I want to know exactly what it is going to cost me upfront. If I think its too high and I really really must have the "whatever"...I might email to negotiate shipping if the policy is a flat rate. If its just a quoted shipping and handling cost and I think it is too high...I don't waste time..I just walk away.

I like sites that offer free shipping (at a specific $ amount- they always get me there).

I always decide if it would cost me that much to drive to get it, if its cheaper to ship..I'll buy it on line.

franie 07-15-2010 06:02 PM

My two cents here. The companies that offer free shipping exclude us here in AK. If they use flat rate boxes at USPS the price is the same as continguous USA. Connecting Threads will not ship free to AK no matter the size of the order. Does it stop me from shopping with them--NO! Because the deals I can get--I just placed a large order of batting that was on sale. 4 of us ordered together and we split the shipping so we do well that way. I am used to paying for shipping most places.

franie 07-15-2010 06:04 PM

Shipping or the cost of gasoline to drive some place to get it without shipping costs--works out the same unless I am going to drive there for something else. Those are considerations but looking at where I live, I ship and pay the price. Hope this helps you all.

Chele 07-15-2010 06:10 PM

I find it hilarious that consumers compare shipping costs to the cost of the item they're buying. What does one have to do with the other? They won't buy a $5 item because it costs $4.95 to ship. So if you buy a thousand dollar ring you should pay a thousand dollars to get it shipped to you? Think about it. Or more importantly, go to the www.usps.com site and see what postage costs these days. Education is a wonderful cure for ignorance. Believe me, most of these joints are NOT cheating you.

purplemem 07-15-2010 06:11 PM

I will order more if I get free shipping. If the company gives free shipping with $50, that's what I'll order.

On the other hand, I will walk away from an order if the shipping price is too high, even if the order is full of "bargains".

I will also "wait" for a long time until I accumulate enough "wants" to make the $50 limit.

Whenever I buy on Ebay I only buy with free shipping, even if I pay higher for the object.

Lady Tapioca 07-15-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise

d. Does having a lower free shipping limit compensate you for paying too much for shipping on smaller orders?

It really just depends on the total for the order. All other things being equal, I'll buy from the company who can get the items to my door for the lowest total cost, regardless of how the cost is broken down.

:thumbup:

This is how I feel too.

charmpacksplus 07-15-2010 06:24 PM

If only free shipping was free for the seller I'd be rich! :roll: