Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Shipping Cost (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/shipping-cost-t134270.html)

bearisgray 06-30-2011 11:09 AM

How many think of the cost and time of traveling to and from a fabric store (or garage sale) as "shipping cost"?

Or is the cost thought of "entertainment expense"?

Murphy 06-30-2011 11:14 AM

Entertainment expense (smile).

MadQuilter 06-30-2011 11:17 AM

It's like the trip to a vacation destination. On the way there I am excited about all the wonderful things I will see and buy. On the way back, I am excited about all the wonderful things I saw and bought.

Lori S 06-30-2011 11:19 AM

I figure it in. Maybe I get my total cost per yard down buy buying more that way the gas $$ per yard is less. I have been much more conservative in my trips to the LQS .. .I make a list and make sure I do not spend the Gas $$$ on just a few things.
Truth be known .... I could save alot if I just shopped at home on my own shelves. No gas $$ No tolls ... no impulse purchases.

Candace 06-30-2011 11:27 AM

Thinking too much spoils the fun. I prefer to not stress the small stuff.

ptquilts 06-30-2011 11:30 AM

Gas is so expensive, buy LOTS of fabric on each trip to make it worthwhile ;-)

jean1941 06-30-2011 11:58 AM

Can touch the fabric if go in person LOL

clynns 06-30-2011 12:07 PM

If I have the money, I'm spending it on fabric. That's my only vice. I don't drink (sigh), I don't smoke (quit over 6 years ago), and have no other habits that I spend money on. Because of being unemployed, I don't have the kind of money that I used to have to spend at the LQS. But I make sure that it counts. Fortunately, my nearest LQS is only 10 miles away. Deb at Lonestar Quilting in Marysville Ohio and I have become friends. Moda is her yellow Lab which is also the store mascot, pet, whatever you'd like to call her. I'll have to get a picture to post.

It's all entertainment. Softly caressing the fabric, looking at all the new eye 'candy'. Going into a quilt shop, knowing you're going to start a new project is like a kid in the candy store. You just don't know where to begin!

babyfireo4 06-30-2011 12:18 PM

honestly, I never considered that before! Since I have to drive 20 miles for the nearest LQS I make sure I have a list for Wal-mart and the hardware store there and the LQS, they're all pretty close together so it figures that if I divide the gas for all 3 places it comes to pennies an item and not to mention the convenience :) (of course I have to go while DH is at work so it's easier to hide the bag(s) of fabric before he gets home)

Ramona Byrd 06-30-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Entertainment expense (smile).

-----------------------------------------------------
Yes..and I meet the nicest people there, both giving the sale and buying at the sale. I've also gotten a lot of nice tips about this and that, plus some neat recipes.