Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shipping Cost

Power Poster
    How many think of the cost and time of traveling to and from a fabric store (or garage sale) as "shipping cost"?

Or is the cost thought of "entertainment expense"?

Blog Entries
    Entertainment expense (smile).

Blog Entries
    It's like the trip to a vacation destination. On the way there I am excited about all the wonderful things I will see and buy. On the way back, I am excited about all the wonderful things I saw and bought.

I figure it in. Maybe I get my total cost per yard down buy buying more that way the gas $$ per yard is less. I have been much more conservative in my trips to the LQS .. .I make a list and make sure I do not spend the Gas $$$ on just a few things.
    Truth be known .... I could save alot if I just shopped at home on my own shelves. No gas $$ No tolls ... no impulse purchases.

Thinking too much spoils the fun. I prefer to not stress the small stuff.

Gas is so expensive, buy LOTS of fabric on each trip to make it worthwhile ;-)

Blog Entries
    Can touch the fabric if go in person LOL

If I have the money, I'm spending it on fabric. That's my only vice. I don't drink (sigh), I don't smoke (quit over 6 years ago), and have no other habits that I spend money on. Because of being unemployed, I don't have the kind of money that I used to have to spend at the LQS. But I make sure that it counts. Fortunately, my nearest LQS is only 10 miles away. Deb at Lonestar Quilting in Marysville Ohio and I have become friends. Moda is her yellow Lab which is also the store mascot, pet, whatever you'd like to call her. I'll have to get a picture to post.

It's all entertainment. Softly caressing the fabric, looking at all the new eye 'candy'. Going into a quilt shop, knowing you're going to start a new project is like a kid in the candy store. You just don't know where to begin!

Blog Entries
    honestly, I never considered that before! Since I have to drive 20 miles for the nearest LQS I make sure I have a list for Wal-mart and the hardware store there and the LQS, they're all pretty close together so it figures that if I divide the gas for all 3 places it comes to pennies an item and not to mention the convenience :) (of course I have to go while DH is at work so it's easier to hide the bag(s) of fabric before he gets home)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    Entertainment expense (smile).
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Yes..and I meet the nicest people there, both giving the sale and buying at the sale. I've also gotten a lot of nice tips about this and that, plus some neat recipes.

Blog Entries
    My car, unfortunately, only gets 12mpg, so every trip is costly and considered. sometimes it's much cheaper to order by mail.

Blog Entries
    to go "in person" fabric shopping costs me:

3 gallons of gas
    lunch out

do i have to go out to lunch?

no

but if i don't, my car putts and sputters in protest all the way home.
    i guess it loves the Olive Garden, too.

:lol:

My LQS is 14 miles. I try to combine trips with errands in that area so I'm not using as much gas. BUT, my daughter and I are going there Sat. We both need backing and binding for our current WIPs. I'll let her drive.

I tie it into work. Go to the Courthouse- go to the Quilt shop. They are having a sale this week. Went yesterday, bought some stuff to compliment what I have. Needed some fat quarters to make a quilt, bought a 1/2 yard and I'll make 2. Pulled out a gift cert., some cash I was stashing and wrote a check for the balance and I was good- no credit card use for this girl.

And it was about 1 mile from the Courthouse so the gas use was minimal. But my happiness level increased greatly.

Banned
    Well, I went to LQS today. I knew what I need, and...lo and behold they are having a sale of 20% off on Tues. So back I go...30 mi. round trip.

Now get this....I took the picture prints I wanted to match with fabric. Well, everyone loved the pictures so much that they each took one and went "Shopping for me"...That was nice, but all I wanted to do was pick out my own fabric....2 hrs there and they did all the picking out! I just couldn't be rude!

Karen

I look at the time and money as an investment opportunity.

I have to go to the Courthouse again today. They open at 8:30 but I am purposely waiting to time it to go back to the Quilt Shop. I bought 1 fabric the other day that I want 3 more yards. Hopefully they still have some.

Can't believe the fabric I got the other day- I saved $90+ and spent $155. My hubby would say- I would have saved it all and not bought any. hehehe.

Of course this means when I buy new, I have to give some away. Lucky for me I have 3 daughters and 2 sisters and a bff that happily take my castoffs.

Blog Entries
    I never think of driving anywhere as part of the cost. It's just a fixed expense like utilities. I won't give up driving no more then I'd give up electricity as long as both are available to me.

Blog Entries
    It's my "me" time...I work full time and spend lots of time doing church and community activities. Any shopping I do for quilting I try to do ALONE, taking my time and enjoying every minute!

It's like a mini vacation!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo
    My LQS is 14 miles. I try to combine trips with errands in that area so I'm not using as much gas. BUT, my daughter and I are going there Sat. We both need backing and binding for our current WIPs. I'll let her drive.

We both ended up driving. We had too many different places to go & I wanted to get home to work on my Sylvia quilt for awhile.

We both got backing, binding & sashing for our quilts. I just bought some thread (and NOTHING else :lol: ). My total was $74. but with a gift certificate and shoppers' reward coupon, only spent $32. Yeah!

She bought a military panel & co-ordinating fabric for a Linus quilt. And 20 buttons that her daughter wanted. Emily has a "thing" for buttons. LOL