Shipping Cost

Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

My car, unfortunately, only gets 12mpg, so every trip is costly and considered. sometimes it's much cheaper to order by mail.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator

to go "in person" fabric shopping costs me:

3 gallons of gas
lunch out

do i have to go out to lunch?

no

but if i don't, my car putts and sputters in protest all the way home.
i guess it loves the Olive Garden, too.

:lol:
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM

My LQS is 14 miles. I try to combine trips with errands in that area so I'm not using as much gas. BUT, my daughter and I are going there Sat. We both need backing and binding for our current WIPs. I'll let her drive.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 PM

I tie it into work. Go to the Courthouse- go to the Quilt shop. They are having a sale this week. Went yesterday, bought some stuff to compliment what I have. Needed some fat quarters to make a quilt, bought a 1/2 yard and I'll make 2. Pulled out a gift cert., some cash I was stashing and wrote a check for the balance and I was good- no credit card use for this girl.

And it was about 1 mile from the Courthouse so the gas use was minimal. But my happiness level increased greatly.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Well, I went to LQS today. I knew what I need, and...lo and behold they are having a sale of 20% off on Tues. So back I go...30 mi. round trip.

Now get this....I took the picture prints I wanted to match with fabric. Well, everyone loved the pictures so much that they each took one and went "Shopping for me"...That was nice, but all I wanted to do was pick out my own fabric....2 hrs there and they did all the picking out! I just couldn't be rude!

Karen
Old 06-30-2011, 02:45 PM

I look at the time and money as an investment opportunity.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 AM

I have to go to the Courthouse again today. They open at 8:30 but I am purposely waiting to time it to go back to the Quilt Shop. I bought 1 fabric the other day that I want 3 more yards. Hopefully they still have some.

Can't believe the fabric I got the other day- I saved $90+ and spent $155. My hubby would say- I would have saved it all and not bought any. hehehe.

Of course this means when I buy new, I have to give some away. Lucky for me I have 3 daughters and 2 sisters and a bff that happily take my castoffs.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I never think of driving anywhere as part of the cost. It's just a fixed expense like utilities. I won't give up driving no more then I'd give up electricity as long as both are available to me.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM

It's my "me" time...I work full time and spend lots of time doing church and community activities. Any shopping I do for quilting I try to do ALONE, taking my time and enjoying every minute!

It's like a mini vacation!! LOL
Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
My LQS is 14 miles. I try to combine trips with errands in that area so I'm not using as much gas. BUT, my daughter and I are going there Sat. We both need backing and binding for our current WIPs. I'll let her drive.

We both ended up driving. We had too many different places to go & I wanted to get home to work on my Sylvia quilt for awhile.

We both got backing, binding & sashing for our quilts. I just bought some thread (and NOTHING else :lol: ). My total was $74. but with a gift certificate and shoppers' reward coupon, only spent $32. Yeah!

She bought a military panel & co-ordinating fabric for a Linus quilt. And 20 buttons that her daughter wanted. Emily has a "thing" for buttons. LOL