Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Should shed color match the house? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/should-shed-color-match-house-t219666.html)

julie 04-22-2013 12:11 PM

I was going to say to leave it red, but today, coming home from work, I passed a yellow house with a yellow barn. Both had the same dark green trim, and they were beautiful! I think it was actually vinyl siding on both, but wow, so beautiful and inviting! The whole farmstead looked clean and polished!

Friday1961 04-22-2013 03:16 PM

My house is brick with part of the front and the ends that are textured siding painted a dark hunter green. Trim is white. Last summer I hired my grandson and his friend to paint my shed the same hunter green with white trim. Have never looked back. Still love it!

Some designers/decorators preach against what they call matchy matchy, but I guess I'm old school. I love that my storage building matches my house!

OldHairTwister 04-22-2013 04:03 PM

I vote leave it red and do a barn quilt on the street side:thumbup:

cpfrog 04-22-2013 05:00 PM

First thought is paint it to match the house... so it "belongs" to you on that property.

BUT red might be a hard color to cover, as Tartan wrote.

I'd try a good exterior primer in an inconspicuous spot (on the back side?) and see if your yellow definitely will cover that red. Might take 2 good coats of yellow.

Good luck.

Edie 04-23-2013 02:53 AM

Merrychristmas!!!!!!!!!

We are supposed to be waking up to 61 degrees this time of year. It is 31 degrees with a windchill of 21 degrees. We have about 6" of new snow. It is sticking to the trees and railings and clotheslines and power lines. It is absolutely gorgeous out - if'n it were Christmas. I walked around the yard yesterday, in what snow was left from last week and saw that the rabbits had eaten off the tips of the tulips that are/were coming up. The weatherman is promising ups 65 on Friday and 69 on Saturday. Nobody make any plans for me. I'm a'gettin' my cutoffs, tank top and yard chair and plopping myself in the sun for two days!!!!!!! Maybe a glass or two of wine with that and listen to "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker" - unless it snows again. WELCOME SPRING - talk about a day late and a dollar short. Hey, Minnesotans, we made it!!!!!!! Edie

marymay 04-23-2013 03:47 AM

I say paint it the same as your house. That's what I did.

JaniceP 04-23-2013 04:37 AM

My house is painted a light blue-gray with white trim. The shed is the same color and we love it!

Jean in Ohio13452 04-23-2013 04:38 AM

You could leave it Red but put something in Yellow on it for Accent.. same for the House,,, add matching Wreaths with Red and Yellow or planters or in the opposite Colors. I also like the Painted Quilt idea on the Side and maybe you could put matching Quilt block on Back Door... Make it Fun...

Dragonomine 04-23-2013 04:56 AM

Our shed is as big as a garage. It has the same siding on it as the house.

Material Witness 04-23-2013 11:56 AM

Barns are red.

Everything you need to know you learned in Kindergarten.