Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A simple oven cleaning technique. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/simple-oven-cleaning-technique-t280196.html)

Roberta 07-05-2016 10:17 AM

A simple oven cleaning technique.

I saw this online and thought I'd share. If it truly does work on cleaning the burnt on gunk that is in some ovens and safe as well, it's a winning combination for me.

http://www.hometalk.com/17895545/eco...a2ae8b-7061181

SewingSew 07-05-2016 10:40 AM

Thank you so much for posting this. I am going to try it and I'll let you know if it works. I love these sorts of tricks. Awhile back I read a tip that I have been meaning to try. Supposedly, if you put your oven racks in a big garbage bag, add ammonia and tie the bag up and leave it overnight, the racks will be easy to clean.

tessagin 07-05-2016 02:25 PM

i have an old inexpensive sheet pan I put on the bottom. When I make pies they go on sheet pans also. What little bit i have to clean I do it right away.

Prism99 07-05-2016 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew (Post 7594661)
Thank you so much for posting this. I am going to try it and I'll let you know if it works. I love these sorts of tricks. Awhile back I read a tip that I have been meaning to try. Supposedly, if you put your oven racks in a big garbage bag, add ammonia and tie the bag up and leave it overnight, the racks will be easy to clean.

My dh has done this with oven racks, but he used a spray foam oven cleaner on them before bagging. This does work for cleaning racks. You might want to take them outside and hose them off afterwards.

SewingSew 07-06-2016 03:25 AM

Tessagin, I always put a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil under my pies too, and I put foil around the outer edge of the crust so it doesn't burn. Prism99, I clean my grill grate with oven cleaner. I haven't put them in a plastic bag to soak though. It has to be more effective. I'll do it that way next time.

quiltbuddy 07-06-2016 03:34 AM

Just a warning....she said to used it for everything. Don't use it on your cabinets. I accidently used an orange cleaner on my painted kitchen cabinets and it made the paint tacky which then made the cabinets dirt magnets. We had to resand, prime and paint and then put another finish on top. Hubby was not happy!

SewingSew 07-06-2016 05:15 AM

The oil from oranges is pretty powerful stuff. I'll bet the cleaner works. How can it not? You're combining vinegar, which is acetic acid, with the citric acid of oranges. I think the baking soda would neutralize the acid so that it wouldn't eat through the paint on the bottom of your stove. Years ago our family went camping and we took one of my son's friends with us. They were 14. I had purchased some natural air fresher for my car and it was made of orange oil. We were on the highway and the two boys were in the back seat of my car. I made a comment about how they both could use a shower and some deodorant. Being the comedians that they were, I did not take them seriously when they picked up the air freshener, sprayed it on their armpits, and proceeded to act like they were in pain. My son's friend, who was usually stoic, had started to tear up. I pulled the car over and checked them out and their armpits were inflamed (but they did smell better.)

Wanabee Quiltin 07-06-2016 05:18 AM

Years ago, several friends told me they lay paper towels on the bottom of their over and cover it with ammonia. The next day everything washes off and I have tried it and it works. Never used vinegar before but I will try it. Thanks.

Onebyone 07-06-2016 05:24 AM

I use the self cleaning on my oven every two weeks. I leave the racks in it. They get very clean. They don't stay shinny but that doesn't bother me. I don't have the hassle of trying to wrestle them.

mac 07-06-2016 07:05 AM

Great idea. I have been putting off cleaning my oven for months. I'll try this and see if it works.