Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   size 0 steel crochet hook (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/size-0-steel-crochet-hook-t258232.html)

Wonnie 12-14-2014 07:39 PM

size 0 steel crochet hook

Anyone know where I can purchase a single steel crochet hook size 0?
Have scoured the internet tonight and all I can find is sets which I definitely do not need as I already have all sizes with many duplicates. I know someone on the board gave me a website a long time ago that sold individual hooks but I sure can't find it now.

Neesie 12-14-2014 08:45 PM

I would expect WalMart or Hobby Lobby to carry individual hooks. Amazon.com also has them. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QHFED0/...SIN=B000QHFED0

citruscountyquilter 12-15-2014 05:44 AM

I have bought steel crochet hooks at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Walmart probably carries them too but I don't shop there.

Wonnie 12-15-2014 07:41 AM

Tried all the stores mentioned but no size 0 here. Neesie, I forget about clicking on the individual dept's.....I usually just leave it on "all" when searching. Did find the size 0 and ordered it. Really looking for a 3 mm hook and the size 0 is a 3.25mm but guess they don't make 3mm in the United States. It's a common size for doing amigurumi.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

AZ Jane 12-15-2014 08:02 AM

I have never heard th term amigurumi but had to send to my SIL. She prefers crochet to quilting, well, except fot the shopping part!!

Neesie 12-15-2014 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie (Post 7008654)
Tried all the stores mentioned but no size 0 here. Neesie, I forget about clicking on the individual dept's.....I usually just leave it on "all" when searching. Did find the size 0 and ordered it. Really looking for a 3 mm hook and the size 0 is a 3.25mm but guess they don't make 3mm in the United States. It's a common size for doing amigurumi.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I would take a look at the different brands. There may be one that's imported (to US), which will have the 3mm size.

If it was me, I'd probably try using a smaller hook (size 1 / 2.75 mm). You can also use a slightly different weight thread, for the proper stitch density.

kellen46 12-15-2014 09:08 AM

I would try the local thrift shop. I see lots of crochet hooks and knitting needles there. Maybe they won't have a size O right away but donations do come in. If you know someone who works there you might ask them to keep an eye out.

nanacc 12-15-2014 10:15 AM

Wish you were closer. I can't crochet or knit for more than a short time because of hand and wrist problems. I have an extensive collection of hooks and needles that I collected over the years as well as my DM's!

Wonnie 12-15-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 7008735)
I would take a look at the different brands. There may be one that's imported (to US), which will have the 3mm size.

If it was me, I'd probably try using a smaller hook (size 1 / 2.75 mm). You can also use a slightly different weight thread, for the proper stitch density.

Thanks, Neesie for the suggestion but have already tried that.....have crochet hooks ranging from a size 00 jumping to a 1 and on up to a 14 in steel hooks... Just no size 0 Amigurumi are crocheted very tightly and mine are very small and the one I'm doing calls for specific thread that I've used before and really like. But, thanks again for the follow through and reminding me that I need to check individual dept's on Amazon when I can't find what I'm looking for under "all"

Wonnie 12-15-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc (Post 7008921)
Wish you were closer. I can't crochet or knit for more than a short time because of hand and wrist problems. I have an extensive collection of hooks and needles that I collected over the years as well as my DM's!

He, he... Me,too! But from Ohio to Texas is a little more than a good stretch of the legs! LOL