Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: size 0 steel crochet hook

Blog Entries

size 0 steel crochet hook

Anyone know where I can purchase a single steel crochet hook size 0?
    Have scoured the internet tonight and all I can find is sets which I definitely do not need as I already have all sizes with many duplicates. I know someone on the board gave me a website a long time ago that sold individual hooks but I sure can't find it now.

I would expect WalMart or Hobby Lobby to carry individual hooks. Amazon.com also has them. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QHFED0/...SIN=B000QHFED0
    Last edited by Neesie; 12-14-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have bought steel crochet hooks at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Walmart probably carries them too but I don't shop there.

Blog Entries
    Tried all the stores mentioned but no size 0 here. Neesie, I forget about clicking on the individual dept's.....I usually just leave it on "all" when searching. Did find the size 0 and ordered it. Really looking for a 3 mm hook and the size 0 is a 3.25mm but guess they don't make 3mm in the United States. It's a common size for doing amigurumi.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I have never heard th term amigurumi but had to send to my SIL. She prefers crochet to quilting, well, except fot the shopping part!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    Tried all the stores mentioned but no size 0 here. Neesie, I forget about clicking on the individual dept's.....I usually just leave it on "all" when searching. Did find the size 0 and ordered it. Really looking for a 3 mm hook and the size 0 is a 3.25mm but guess they don't make 3mm in the United States. It's a common size for doing amigurumi.

I would take a look at the different brands. There may be one that's imported (to US), which will have the 3mm size.

If it was me, I'd probably try using a smaller hook (size 1 / 2.75 mm). You can also use a slightly different weight thread, for the proper stitch density.
    Last edited by Neesie; 12-15-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I would try the local thrift shop. I see lots of crochet hooks and knitting needles there. Maybe they won't have a size O right away but donations do come in. If you know someone who works there you might ask them to keep an eye out.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Blog Entries
    Wish you were closer. I can't crochet or knit for more than a short time because of hand and wrist problems. I have an extensive collection of hooks and needles that I collected over the years as well as my DM's!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I would take a look at the different brands. There may be one that's imported (to US), which will have the 3mm size.

If it was me, I'd probably try using a smaller hook (size 1 / 2.75 mm). You can also use a slightly different weight thread, for the proper stitch density.
    Thanks, Neesie for the suggestion but have already tried that.....have crochet hooks ranging from a size 00 jumping to a 1 and on up to a 14 in steel hooks... Just no size 0 Amigurumi are crocheted very tightly and mine are very small and the one I'm doing calls for specific thread that I've used before and really like. But, thanks again for the follow through and reminding me that I need to check individual dept's on Amazon when I can't find what I'm looking for under "all"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    Wish you were closer. I can't crochet or knit for more than a short time because of hand and wrist problems. I have an extensive collection of hooks and needles that I collected over the years as well as my DM's!
    He, he... Me,too! But from Ohio to Texas is a little more than a good stretch of the legs! LOL

Blog Entries
    Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Okay....here goes a "dumb" question.... when I google Amigurumi I get images of crocheted animals https://www.google.ca/search?q=Amigu...w=1260&bih=859
    So what is the difference between crocheted and amigurumi?

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Okay....here goes a "dumb" question.... when I google Amigurumi I get images of crocheted animals https://www.google.ca/search?q=Amigu...w=1260&bih=859
    So what is the difference between crocheted and amigurumi?
    Looks the same to me too...maybe it's just the " term" for crocheted stuffed animals.....learn something new every day

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Looks the same to me too...maybe it's just the " term" for crocheted stuffed animals.....learn something new every day
    Basically, it's crocheting figures on a (very) miniature scale.
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post

Google "3mm crochet hook"...I found some on ESTY.

Yes ..Walmart does carry the steel hooks.

Power Poster
    Wall Mart....