Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   sleep apnea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sleep-apnea-t147452.html)

Normacharlie 08-26-2011 06:26 AM

I had one and everytime I used it, I got a terrible sinus infection, but I know others who swear by them. I just started using more pillows and it seemed to help me. Everyone is different! My brother lost his job after 33 years because he couldn't use the c-pap. My daughter's father-in-law swears by his so good luck!

ganaden81 08-26-2011 06:36 AM

I have been on a CPAP machine since Jan. It was the hardest to use because I am claustraphobic. But I worked through that because I didn't want my hubby to wake up and find me dead. Good news, now I am sleeping better and feeling great.Last night was the first time I sleeped 8 hours.WONDERFUL. I had been surviving on 2 hour naps. So, go for it. You will feel GREAT.:)

JulieR 08-26-2011 07:13 AM

For the folks who had trouble adjusting and gave up, did you try anti-anxiety or other medication?

procrastin8r 08-26-2011 08:48 AM

My DH has used one for years and, if it hasn't already been pointed out, ask about the difference between a CPAP and a BI-PAP. For him, the BI-PAP has been much more effective.

MissJMac 08-26-2011 05:03 PM

the C-PAP is a lifesaver (literally). For years my sleep had been irregular and getting worse (waking every hour or so and never getting any real rest). Had a overnight sleepstudy at the hospital and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. The result was frightening (I stopped breathing an average of 127 times an hour, I was waking up because I couldn't breath) Before I went home in the morning I was fitted and given a C-PAP. It took some getting used to because I'm claustrophobic, but I'm into my second year and I'm sleeping much better.
Good luck

NitaM39 08-26-2011 05:20 PM

Both my hubby and I had sleep study tests, both diagnosed as having sleep apnea and both had second studies. Neither of us were/are willing to use one. I ripped the mask off in the middle of the night, pulling off some of my leads. He's claustrophobic. I just couldn't find a mask that fit - need one that covers my mouth as I sleep with it open. After reading ALL the posts, sounds like there are many variations of masks and hopefully I can find one that I'm comfortable with. Guess I'll bite the bullet and get at least one machine and let me try it first. I'm the one who wakes up with terrible headaches almost every morning and that seems to be a common sign of sleep apnea. Had sleep studies done in FL where we live in the winter, so will wait until we get back there to go back and talk to the doctor.

I have a big problem - have to get up at least twice every night to go to the bathroom and am thinking that's going to be a big hassle to unhook and rehook myself up. Anyone else have that problem?

JulieR 08-26-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by NitaM39
Both my hubby and I had sleep study tests, both diagnosed as having sleep apnea and both had second studies. Neither of us were/are willing to use one. I ripped the mask off in the middle of the night, pulling off some of my leads. He's claustrophobic. I just couldn't find a mask that fit - need one that covers my mouth as I sleep with it open. After reading ALL the posts, sounds like there are many variations of masks and hopefully I can find one that I'm comfortable with. Guess I'll bite the bullet and get at least one machine and let me try it first. I'm the one who wakes up with terrible headaches almost every morning and that seems to be a common sign of sleep apnea. Had sleep studies done in FL where we live in the winter, so will wait until we get back there to go back and talk to the doctor.

I have a big problem - have to get up at least twice every night to go to the bathroom and am thinking that's going to be a big hassle to unhook and rehook myself up. Anyone else have that problem?

My husband went to the bathroom a few times every night until - you guessed it - he started using the CPAP. Now that almost never happens anymore.

On the other hand, I went at night all the time and it turned out to be diabetes, so if treating your apnea doesn't solve the issue it's worth mentioning to your doctor. Might be worth it anyway; it can't be fun!

FACESNORTH 08-26-2011 06:28 PM

I love mine!

sassey 08-26-2011 07:05 PM

I guess I am one of the few people with apena that just couldn;tget used to the machine when I did my study I had no problem wearing the mask but once I got my own machine I could never get used to it I tried every mask on the market including the little pillows that set just in front of the nose. I lost many nights of sleep trying to get used to the machine after about 6 months I finally just gave up however I do use my oxygen when I sleep so that does help some Good luck I hope it works for you

DianD 08-27-2011 10:07 AM

We both use c-paps...YES it helps us feel better. To those who can't use one because they are "mouth breathers," you are not alone...however, there is a solution. All the supply companies carry chin straps. they work in addition to your mask gear, but gently holds your mouth shut- painless and very effective!
Regarding the surgical solution...I have a friend who went in for this two-part surgery. He did the first part and refused to do the second part. He said he had never felt pain like that in his life! He couldn't eat, drink, sleep or speak in more than a whisper for almost two weeks. No pain meds worked, so they finally had to resort to Morphine patches. Took him months to fully recover.
I love my machine...before, all I had to do was sit still for a few minutes and I'd be asleep. I had NO quality of life. Now, I'm awake and alert and finally feeling healthy!