Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   SMART fortwo car...do you have one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/smart-fortwo-car-do-you-have-one-t120709.html)

luckylindy333 05-04-2011 07:25 PM

How about a Civic or an Echo? These are known to be reliable and get good mileage- Scion is a good choice, too.

IrelandDragonQuilting 05-04-2011 07:26 PM

Being a safety officer for the oil field, we discuss things like vehicles all the time. I had an email sent to me of a smart car that got caught in-between two semi-trucks in Louisiana, it was not pretty. I know that with the fuel prices and such right now that we all want to try and save money, however, putting your life in danger just is not worth it.

cizzors 05-04-2011 07:28 PM

No thanks. I like the protection my truck gives me no matter the gas prices-11 yrs old and in great shape. Best of all, it's paid for!

DogHouseMom 05-04-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
Being a safety officer for the oil field, we discuss things like vehicles all the time. I had an email sent to me of a smart car that got caught in-between two semi-trucks in Louisiana, it was not pretty. I know that with the fuel prices and such right now that we all want to try and save money, however, putting your life in danger just is not worth it.

It wouldn't make a difference what you were driving if you got caught between two Semi's!

IrelandDragonQuilting 05-04-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting

It wouldn't make a difference what you were driving if you got caught between two Semi's!

Good point!

justwannaquilt 05-04-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
...thinking I might end up with the Cobalt or Aveo...sigh...had my heart set on a red camaro..but alas...

I am just gonna warn ya, my husband just traded his Cobalt in on a Charger. The charger gets about the same gas milage as the cobalt did!

Something that is flex fuel is also another option, however E85 isn't much cheaper. And when you run E85 it cleans your tank out so much that you go through fuel filters like crazy. and if you miss changing your fuel filter you risk having to replace the fuel PUMP which is mucho dinero no matter what your driving!

This is my thoughts on safety....if its your time to go your gonna go whether you are in a big truck or a glorified golf cart.

I would love to have something that is more economical however with three kids and a husband that is 6'7" a Dodge Avenger is about as small as I can go. If it were just me I would get a smart car in a heartbeat! shoot you might even see me runnin around town on a moped. ;)

It'smyfirstlove 05-05-2011 03:24 AM

Love my Prius. It's easy to drive and gets 45 mpg around town and even better on longer trips. Had it for two years and wouldn't trade it.

biggee 05-05-2011 08:08 AM

You might want to consider a Volkswagen TDI (turbo diesel) they are getting 48 to 50 MPG highway and about 35 in town from my understanding. Definitely a long life engine.

cctx. 05-05-2011 08:12 AM

I don't know if it's the same as the "Nano" vehicle from a couple of years back.
The pricing was less cost efficient than what it's priced at now & for that price now I'd rather buy a Kia~Soul and have more leg room.

Susan_Sews 05-05-2011 08:15 AM

We traded my Expedition for a Toyota Prius. It truly gets 50 miles to the gallon in town driving which is where I put most of the miles on the car anyway. I love it. High way miles are still better than the big SUV.