Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   SMART fortwo car...do you have one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/smart-fortwo-car-do-you-have-one-t120709.html)

LovingIzabella 05-05-2011 08:21 AM

I love my Honda Civic (and this is probably the smallest I would ever go). I commute 112 miles round trip to work each day and I get about 35 mpg. It is an 05 and has 175,000 miles on it-I will drive it until it doesn't want to go anymore. Honda's have a very good crash protection rating (and I was someone who was involved in a head on car collision so swore I would never drive a small car)
Good luck with your decision
Hugs
April

auntiehenno 05-05-2011 08:40 AM

I will keep my 98 Monte Carlo. These look too dangerous for me. I Have seen them and I would imagine the insurance on them in very expensive..

BellaBoo 05-05-2011 09:12 AM

Way too small for me. I would feel very unsafe.

Mona Marie 05-05-2011 09:15 AM

I have a horse and carriage for two. Does that count?

Needles 05-05-2011 10:43 AM

Never would I have one or any tiny car. You may as well be on a bicycle or motorcycle as tiny cars are not seen.

Saw one after it had been hit by a Ford SUV, the guy pulled out of his driveway in front of the Explorer and was hit in the driver's door. Not a smart car anymore after it was practically run over.

sculpyfan 05-05-2011 10:48 AM

i had one and loved it. It just zipped in and out of traffic. I got looks everywhere I went and a lot of thumbs up signs. I felt secure in it since it has a roll cage like a race car. Got almost 40 miles a gallon. I am big 5ft 10 in and overweight. I fit into it just fine. Now the downsides... You have no spare tire. You have a fix a flat kit. But if your tire is damaged you are out of luck no matter where you are. It is sold out of the Mercedes dealership and costs an arm and leg to get repairs,we had a battery go out after a few months and it took over a week to get a replacement (I live outside Dallas,Tx). It is a very rough ride unless the road is very smooth. There is room for very little behind the back seat. I wanted to take it and go to Virginia but would not have been able to take luggage. My daughter refused to ride with me on a 400 mile round trip because of the rough ride. It had been an impulse buy. I had wanted one ever since they came out and did not think it all out. I traded it off even though I still loved it ,it just wasn't practical. As a 3rd car yes I would have one but it is very limiting.

heberstitcher 05-05-2011 11:31 AM

I don't have one, but have seen a few on the freeways in Phx. and frankly, you couldn't "pay" me to ride in one especially on the freeways. No protection. I'll take my Toyota 4Runner anyday even though gas prices are higher now.

vivoaks 05-05-2011 11:43 AM

My daughter has a Toyota Yaris that gets as good gas mileage as the Smart Car and is much bigger. I originally said I wanted a Smart Car when they first came out, but now I realize that it's not that great a car. JMHO

Jammin' Jane 05-05-2011 11:46 AM

Went fabric shopping last night...definitely NOT enough room in these smart cars for the power shopping I do!
Also, way too claustrophobic for me!

kjym 05-05-2011 12:00 PM

I would love to have a smart car. When we were up in Victoria BC they were all over the place.
If you haven't looked into them they are very safe they have a set up like a roll cage around the passenger area. Up at the dealer they had one that had been hit by a car doing 60 mph. The back was smashed but the passenger area was fine and the air bags blew and the guy driving just got out with out a scratch and walked away. he was in better shape than the guy that hit him. To fix the smart they just put on new back fenders and bumper and as I remember it didn't cost that much. it is designed like you are in a egg shaped cage.
The Rotary Club was raffling one off at $10. a ticket well we bought 10 tickets but darn we didn't win.
It is surprising how much room is in them . We have a friend 6 ft. + and he had no problem getting in and out and he said he was very comfortable in it.
They are made by Mercede and Swatch watch did the designing.
The ones in Canada had a diesel engines and where we stayed the gal had one that was white with black stripes. it either looked like a zebra or a safari wagon.
When they first were interduced they did a advertizement they took a Hummer and a Smart to Ikea and they got the same items. well with putting the passenger seat down flat which makes a deck they got all the items in the smart and they couldn't get all of the items in the Hummer. That impressed me.
I'm rooting for the Smart. I'm thrilled for you, have fun.
kjym Kathy