Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   So if you could only pick one of your hobbies... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/so-if-you-could-only-pick-one-your-hobbies-t148558.html)

TexasSunshine 08-28-2011 01:40 PM

Quilting and gardening depending on the season.

sparkys_mom 08-28-2011 02:24 PM

I'm not a doll person - never have been - but these are very nice. Have you tried etsy? That seems to be the place to be - or maybe eBay.

lindy 08-28-2011 04:33 PM

I love Amelia and Elizabeth! Good job!

marilynr 08-28-2011 04:40 PM

I especially LOVE Elizabeth. She is absolutely beautiful.
Those eyes & lips are precious.

hopetoquilt 08-28-2011 06:47 PM

My two hobbies are weightlifting and quilting. I keep it to a minimum so I can focus my money, time and energy.

Weightlifting is great for my health, waistline, and happiness. I couldn't give that up.

Quilting is fun and I fit it in when I have time b/w work, husband, kids, and working out. I would hate to give it up...

As far as the doll clothes, I would look at what dolls are top sellers and the clothing for them. American Girl Dolls are popular and I think accessories are quite expensive. I am assuming there is a market, but I have 2 sons so I am not sure.

ontheriver 08-28-2011 08:29 PM

I know several people who are always looking for clothes for American Girl dolls which seem very popular. They are 18in dolls and the clothing for them is very expensive. My mom just made about 20 outfits for one of her DGGD's doll.

Fabriholic 08-28-2011 08:42 PM

I love all the dolls ... very nice work. I bought a pattern for an 18" doll to see if it was too time consuming or frustrating to make. That's still waiting along with tons of other things. Last Christmas my niece's daughter (two months away from being six) rattled off all the barbie names of the ones she didn't get. I don't know at what age they no longer have interest but, I gotta say, the boxes full of toys and dolls I found in my parents' house was so much fun to go thru. I have a few of them displayed and it means so much to me. And although they aren't Barbies, they are fashionable young ladies :)
DI

Fabriholic 08-28-2011 08:46 PM

Oh, I forgot ... I'd choose quilting. And sewing. And writing (song lyrics).
DI

BETTY62 08-28-2011 10:33 PM

Yes, kids do still play with dolls and adults often use them as decorations. As for me, I love Amelia and think she would look nice setting on a chair or bed in the bed room. Also, there is most likely a market for doll clothing to fit dolls like Barbie. However, I think it would be wise to do more research on how to price and market your products before mass producing either of these items. I wish you well in your future business.

jitkaau 08-29-2011 03:31 AM

I think the 11.5" doll dresses are still popular - especially if you sell them at a more reasonable price than the store ones. I had success with them by packaging them in clip-lock bags in groups of 5 different ones and advertising that they could buy them individually or in the 5 pack for a special price. I also allowed them to make their own selection for what went into the 5 pack. Everyone was happy that way.