Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   So if you could only pick one of your hobbies... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/so-if-you-could-only-pick-one-your-hobbies-t148558.html)

Butterfli19 08-28-2011 12:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
...which would it be and why?

There are 3 things I really like to do - sew, cross stitch, and write. BUT I want to make some moolah on the side and I won't do that by cross stitching (takes waaaay too long) or writing (ever try to publish something?) so that leaves sewing, which I also love.

But what I want to sew I'm not sure there is a market for. Ready? I want to make cloth dolls. Small-ish ones with their own blanket or outfit or stuffed puppy or carry-all.

Attached are some I've made in the past which I'm sure some of you have already seen.

What do you think? Do you think they would sell? Do kids / adults still play with dolls?

Amelia
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248135[/ATTACH]

Elizabeth
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248136[/ATTACH]

Midge and Sarah with dresses
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248137[/ATTACH]

emerald46 08-28-2011 12:18 PM

I love handcrafted dolls and usually buy them for the little ones in the family. Pretty dresses on Midge and Sarah. You do beautiful work. I am sure they would sell...but how many and often? I have no idea what size market there is. Good luck!

jmabby 08-28-2011 12:19 PM

Those are really nice.

I love quilting and photography, I can't give up either.

Bueniebabe 08-28-2011 12:34 PM

Barbie clothes sell well at our church picnic

luvstitches 08-28-2011 12:47 PM

Cute dolls and Barbie clothes which young girls love.

I would choose quilting for my hobby all the way!!

Butterfli19 08-28-2011 12:57 PM

Thanks for the compliments!

Barbie clothes, really? I didn't know girls still played with Barbies, I thought they had some new 11 1/2" doll out there now. I'm happy you said that though because I'm kind of tired of seeing those 18" outfits everywhere.

What about doll houses - do girls play with them? My daughter is now 24 and niece is 12 so haven't been around little girls for a while.

Rosyhf 08-28-2011 01:18 PM

I quilt, make dolls and paint...now and then I do embroidery, knit and do a couple ceramics, I do have all the supplies to d0 all the above and I am not about to give any of it up lol.

grammiepamie 08-28-2011 01:23 PM

Have you priced at retail Barbie clothes? They are fairly high. I would think Barbie clothes priced less than retail would sell!!

xsquilter 08-28-2011 01:26 PM

Oh boy, my favourites, quilting & cross stitching, I couldn't give up either. I do both almost daily at different times of the day.

Nancy.....Amelia & Elizabeth are beautiful. I don't have girls, & I'm not into "dolls" myself but one of those would definitely be in my sewing room for me to enjoy. How I would love her company!
Maureen

annyroony2 08-28-2011 01:33 PM

I will have to choose quilting, too much invested in this hobby.