Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Some men are uninformed regarding quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/some-men-uninformed-regarding-quilting-t272523.html)

Chasing Hawk 11-22-2015 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna (Post 7383579)
Maybe he had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek and this was his way of getting her out of the store. It struck me as funny.

I am leaning towards this assumption. My husband will come up to me at the cutting table and say "Put some of that back, I won't have any money for the bar later." or "I thought I would find you here, let's get home I'm hungry and you need to cook." There are so many more things he does while I am shopping for my hobbies. I know he is being funny and to me that is all that matters. He never balks about what I spend on anything. However if I want something "big" for my hobbies we discuss it, then save for it.

Chasing Hawk 11-22-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 7383672)
Not just men, we have all seen women who don't understand why we can't whip up a quilt by the weekend.

Very true, maybe cause we make it look so easy. :)

ManiacQuilter2 11-22-2015 10:40 AM

I have heard that before but hand quilting is the top quality type of quilting to be done. I STILL love looking at beautifully done hand quilting.

maryb119 11-22-2015 04:49 PM

I have my DH drop me off at a quilt shop and then he goes to wash the car. He takes his time and when he comes back, I am usually ready to leave the store. No fuss that way.

As for the guy who says it is lazy to not hand quilt......hand him a needle.

Halo 11-22-2015 05:10 PM

My DH only complains if I spend hours in a fabric shop & not buy anything.

Stitchit123 11-22-2015 11:37 PM

My DH knew about quilting before he could walk and was always interested in each project and had 'the' eye for color combo's. And most trips to the fabric stores he was there and helpful. We were in a JoAnn's one day and another couple were there -her DH made the nasty remark -Oh for Pete's sake can't you just buy her a blanket -talk about an eerie silence. My DH said -I am so glad I'm not in his shoes.

ckcowl 11-23-2015 02:05 AM

I've seen many more women then men behave that way! I've been told ( by women) that I'm not * a real quilter* because I have a longarm; that I'm not a true quilter because I enjoy applique and paper piecing.... When we made picnic/ beach quilts I even had a women yank a quilt out of my granddaughter's hands and scream at me for telling her to spread it out, it was 4 th of July & we were in the park.... Very seldom do you see/ hear that kind of behavior from men.

Manalto 11-23-2015 02:10 AM

I see lots of horrible people of both genders. I'd rather spend my time and attention on those who are kind, generous and funny.

KimmerB 11-23-2015 05:47 AM

My hubby stays home when I go shopping, so much easier that way. He has no appreciation of what it takes to quilt anything, figures it is easier to buy than sew but he lets me do as I please. I knew that 39 years ago when we got married, good thing he has lots of other great qualities that I can over look that one. I do see him using the items I make and he has been known to tell other people if I make something he really likes.

Wanabee Quiltin 11-23-2015 05:55 AM

I am so grateful my DH would never act like that anywhere !