Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sometimes no matter what you do.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sometimes-no-matter-what-you-do-t189826.html)

Peckish 05-23-2012 09:24 PM

I've not (yet) had such an experience, but my husband has had his share. He likes to substitute things with disastrous results. The first was when we were out of dishwasher soap, and he didn't see anything wrong with using liquid dish soap in its place. Yes, he filled BOTH detergent cups full of Dawn and started the dishwasher. I walked in the house and stood there, aghast, staring at the 4 foot high wall of suds oozing out of my kitchen.

The most recent substitution was when I went on a quilt retreat. He decided to make pancakes for the kids. He found my recipe for the mix (I don't use Bisquick, I make my own) but he either couldn't find the baking POWDER, or he thought it was the same as baking SODA. So he put in 2 tablespoons of baking soda. The kids were soooo happy to see me when I got home...

Diannia 05-24-2012 08:33 AM

I was around 8 the first time I made cookies. I mistakenly used salt instead of sugar (not sure how that happened) and didn't realize it until after they were made and a friend of the family ate 1. Poor guy choked it down so he didn't hurt my feelings!

Diannia

charity-crafter 05-24-2012 08:47 AM

My problem stems from when I change brands or bottles of spices, remember how some spices have small holes and other spices have a lid you can dip your spoon into. I always forget and grab the new bottle without checking the hole size, I once put in 1/2 a bottle of some spice. I forget which. I scooped off as much as I could and put it into another bottle, then realized I had the completely wrong spice-I think it was cinamon instead of what ever I was looking for. Dh came down stairs and asked me why I was washing the already cooked chicken.

In chinese cooking cinammon, ginger, anise is for savory foods-Dh won't eat anything sweet with cinamon....it's just not right to his taste buds.

It happens to all of us. Good thing you had a carry out place near by. Thanks for sharing.

Once I ate at a friends house and she was a new cook. The recipe called for 2 cups chopped red peppers-with the understanding it was sweet red peppers. She went to the market and picked up the only red peppers she could find-those fireary hot ones. We make sure to eat before we go to her house for meals.

BellaBoo 05-24-2012 09:42 AM

I simmered and babied a big pot of chicken broth all day, the Alton Brown way. When it was time to drain the broth I poured it in a strainer and the delicious broth ran down the drain. That was the most wasted day of my life.

Chasing Hawk 05-24-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5238697)
When dh and I were first married, we ate very frugally. One night, I was fixing hot dogs and as I was draining them, they went slithering down the drain.

Sorry, but that sounds too funny...... Slithering hot dogs.

Quilty-Louise 05-24-2012 01:15 PM

Oh I have had MANY bad experiences in the kitchen and cooking
but I honestly think the worst one was last nights mishap.

When I was doing dishes I saw that hubs even tried to cover the
nasty taste with ketchup, of course he puts that stuff on ALMOST
everything INCLUDING peanut butter and velvetta cheese sandwiches.

May in Jersey 05-24-2012 01:28 PM

My sister and I wanted to make our sick brother some applesauce but recipe called for twice as many apples than we had. I said we could make half the recipe and we put all of the ingredients in a pot and kept stiring and stirring bit it never got thick. Problem was that I put in half of the apples, half of the sugar and all of the water.

Many times I've added too much herbs or spices to a recipe because I just opened the jar and shook it over the food. Half of a spice jar of red pepper flakes is a litttl too much for any dish.

maryfrang 05-25-2012 05:12 AM

When I was first married, tried to impress new husband and made burnt pork chops. Well thought if I put tamotoes it would cover the burnt. Almost 44 years later, he still reminds me of it, when I make port chops.

MaggieLou 05-25-2012 05:53 AM

I've done many things over the years but a couple stick out. We I was a teenager many years ago a GF and I decided to make a tiered cake from scratch for my parents 25th wedding anniversary party. We had to make to recipe twice and forgot to put the baking powder in both times. It was tasty but like eating rubber. Another time when I was 10 or 11 I decided to make biscuits for dinner. I rolled them out like piecrust. My father always kidded me about making crackers. Then last night I turned on the wrong burner and burnt the burner cover. Luckily I was still in the kitchen when it happened.

Happy Linda 05-25-2012 06:03 AM

Oh how that is so easy to do. Especially if you've got quilting project's on the mind.