Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes no matter what you do....

Blog Entries

Sometimes no matter what you do....

or plan for dinner you just screw things up.

That was me tonight for dinner, the simple dinner of hamburger
    helper (hubs choice for dinner), was mexican taco, I ALWAYS add
    a little extra seasonings (usually chili powder and Mrs. Dash sw chipotle).

But tonight I wasn't paying attention and grabbed the stupid jar
    of ground cinnamon. I got most of it out but there is still enough
    of the cinnamon to slightly taste it.

We shall see how it turns out.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Ugh!! I made stew last week (using left over Pot Roast) and put WAY too much fresh ground pepper in it (and I LOVE a lot of pepper!). On top of that I made it in the "wrong" pot - one that does not regulate heat well and the bottom burned and gave the whole stew a "burned" flavor. To top it all off ... I invited the neighbors for dinner!

Certainly not one of my finest moments.

Hope yours is edible!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Nope is was totally horrible. After 3 bites we both agreed
    that it left a nasty after taste in the mouth.

Panda Express to the rescue tonight.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Or there was the time my mom put salt in the cream puffs recipe instead of sugar... to this day, we can't figure out how THAT happened!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Sorry that happened but I am sure we can all relate to some cooking experience that didn't turn out to good.

Years ago (over 20) I used to make cornbread from scratch.....well (if I remember right) it called for 1/4 cup of sugar and I put "1" cup of sugar and I didn't realize it until I took the cornbread out of the oven...I wondered Why it had such a sheen to the top....we sat down to eat and tasted the cornbread and boy was it sweet. If you haven't ever had cornbread cake you should try it.....it really wasn't all that bad. HA!!
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

Ha! Murphy's Law gets us all. I was cooking for a group of campers and grabbed a box of cornstarch to thicken rhubarb pie filling. As soon as I added the 1/2 cup, foam bubbled to the top of the pot. Aaargh! There was new packaging and the cornstarch and baking powder containers were almost identical. What a waste of pie plant and sugar and baking powder.

Blog Entries
    Have you ever made a home made vanilla cake, and frosted the cake with boiled icing? YUM! Except, when a 10 and an 11 year old aim to surprise the family with dessert by seeing a "7" instead of a "1" handwritten on the recipe card for the 'cups of sugar'. We poured that hot stuff over the cake, and what didn't soak into the cake formed a rather smooth outer 'shell' to the cake. When our mother came home she was none too happy to find her sugar all gone. She did insist we try to eat the cake. Over 40 years ago and we still laugh over that.

When dh and I were first married, we ate very frugally. One night, I was fixing hot dogs and as I was draining them, they went slithering down the drain.

My daughter grabbed the cinnamon a few months ago and dusted her deviled eggs with that instead of paprika!!! Her hubby, who LOVES deviled eggs, ate them anyhow!!!
    Gloria 

One day I made no bake cookies with crispy chinese noodles, unfortunately I used the GARLIC flavored noodles....they were DISGUSTING!!!!

Blog Entries
    I've not (yet) had such an experience, but my husband has had his share. He likes to substitute things with disastrous results. The first was when we were out of dishwasher soap, and he didn't see anything wrong with using liquid dish soap in its place. Yes, he filled BOTH detergent cups full of Dawn and started the dishwasher. I walked in the house and stood there, aghast, staring at the 4 foot high wall of suds oozing out of my kitchen.

The most recent substitution was when I went on a quilt retreat. He decided to make pancakes for the kids. He found my recipe for the mix (I don't use Bisquick, I make my own) but he either couldn't find the baking POWDER, or he thought it was the same as baking SODA. So he put in 2 tablespoons of baking soda. The kids were soooo happy to see me when I got home...

I was around 8 the first time I made cookies. I mistakenly used salt instead of sugar (not sure how that happened) and didn't realize it until after they were made and a friend of the family ate 1. Poor guy choked it down so he didn't hurt my feelings!

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

My problem stems from when I change brands or bottles of spices, remember how some spices have small holes and other spices have a lid you can dip your spoon into. I always forget and grab the new bottle without checking the hole size, I once put in 1/2 a bottle of some spice. I forget which. I scooped off as much as I could and put it into another bottle, then realized I had the completely wrong spice-I think it was cinamon instead of what ever I was looking for. Dh came down stairs and asked me why I was washing the already cooked chicken.

In chinese cooking cinammon, ginger, anise is for savory foods-Dh won't eat anything sweet with cinamon....it's just not right to his taste buds.

It happens to all of us. Good thing you had a carry out place near by. Thanks for sharing.

Once I ate at a friends house and she was a new cook. The recipe called for 2 cups chopped red peppers-with the understanding it was sweet red peppers. She went to the market and picked up the only red peppers she could find-those fireary hot ones. We make sure to eat before we go to her house for meals.

Blog Entries
    I simmered and babied a big pot of chicken broth all day, the Alton Brown way. When it was time to drain the broth I poured it in a strainer and the delicious broth ran down the drain. That was the most wasted day of my life.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    When dh and I were first married, we ate very frugally. One night, I was fixing hot dogs and as I was draining them, they went slithering down the drain.

Sorry, but that sounds too funny...... Slithering hot dogs.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    Oh I have had MANY bad experiences in the kitchen and cooking
    but I honestly think the worst one was last nights mishap.

When I was doing dishes I saw that hubs even tried to cover the
    nasty taste with ketchup, of course he puts that stuff on ALMOST
    everything INCLUDING peanut butter and velvetta cheese sandwiches.

My sister and I wanted to make our sick brother some applesauce but recipe called for twice as many apples than we had. I said we could make half the recipe and we put all of the ingredients in a pot and kept stiring and stirring bit it never got thick. Problem was that I put in half of the apples, half of the sugar and all of the water.

Many times I've added too much herbs or spices to a recipe because I just opened the jar and shook it over the food. Half of a spice jar of red pepper flakes is a litttl too much for any dish.
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 05-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.

When I was first married, tried to impress new husband and made burnt pork chops. Well thought if I put tamotoes it would cover the burnt. Almost 44 years later, he still reminds me of it, when I make port chops.

I've done many things over the years but a couple stick out. We I was a teenager many years ago a GF and I decided to make a tiered cake from scratch for my parents 25th wedding anniversary party. We had to make to recipe twice and forgot to put the baking powder in both times. It was tasty but like eating rubber. Another time when I was 10 or 11 I decided to make biscuits for dinner. I rolled them out like piecrust. My father always kidded me about making crackers. Then last night I turned on the wrong burner and burnt the burner cover. Luckily I was still in the kitchen when it happened.
    Last edited by MaggieLou; 05-25-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    Oh how that is so easy to do. Especially if you've got quilting project's on the mind.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    A very funny thread to read first thing in the morning! My DH cannot stand Hamburger Helper so if I want to go out to eat I just set a box of HH on the counter and when he comes home from work and sees that box on the counter, he always announces that he wants to go out to eat!!! He doesn't even know that I threw away the contents of the HH box years ago because it was so old!
    Nikki in MO

When I was a little girl it was so fun to help Grandma make cookies. She told me to get the little brown bottle of vanilla out of the cupboard. So I did. When the cookies were tasted everyone asked if it was a new recipe. The taste wasn't bad, but not the same. We finally figured out I got a different little brown bottle....cough syrup!

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    A very funny thread to read first thing in the morning! My DH cannot stand Hamburger Helper so if I want to go out to eat I just set a box of HH on the counter and when he comes home from work and sees that box on the counter, he always announces that he wants to go out to eat!!! He doesn't even know that I threw away the contents of the HH box years ago because it was so old!
    These are all hysterical, but this one made me PMP with laughter! I used to get the same result when I told hubby I have some chicken in the freezer...he always says, "Oh, slimy chicken....let's eat out!" Still would say that, but retired folks can't eat out so much, so I get creative cooking the chicken, and he eats it.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

What joy! I have laughed and laughed.
    Try a little cinnamon, raisins and cooked rice in stuffed bell peppers. It is different, but good.

Blog Entries
    I make turkey carcas soup with the Thanksgiving and/or Christmas turkey. One year there was lots of snow on the back porch, so I set the pot of broth on the back porch to cool. Before I could stop him, the neighbor's Golden Retriever was slurping it up with great enthusiasm - and a thanks Joanne look at me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast