Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A Special Holiday Visitor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/special-holiday-visitor-t236998.html)

auntpiggylpn 12-19-2013 07:08 AM

A Special Holiday Visitor

1 Attachment(s)
We are a foster family for our local Animal Care & Control and we got a call earlier this week to see if we could help out for a couple of weeks. Of course we said "Absolutely!" We picked up "Kringle" yesterday. He is a schnauzer mix and 8-10 years old and very, very thin. Missing many teeth with a severe underbite. He was an owner surrender at the shelter with a right foreleg injury. It was determined that he has a fracture and his leg is casted and we will have him through the holidays. (I'm thinking I might have to keep this one, I have such a soft spot in my heart for those senior dogs; shhhhh, don't tell my other half!). He is 100% housebroken and such a lover boy. He doesn't bother the cats and our 2 shepherds get along well with him. He slept in bed with me last night along with my 15 yo Pomeranian and 3 of the 5 cats. He will be going to our groomer on Friday for a spa day which is donated by our groomer.

mighty 12-19-2013 07:12 AM

Such a sweetie, I am afraid I would keep Him also!!!!!!!

Tartan 12-19-2013 07:14 AM

He reminds me of our cocker spaniel we had (with an overbite) when I was little. Looked mean but was such a sweetheart.

nativetexan 12-19-2013 07:24 AM

Aw, look at those toofers!! Such a cutie. I'm glad he has a home for the Holidays.

nygal 12-19-2013 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6463973)
Aw, look at those toofers!! Such a cutie. I'm glad he has a home for the Holidays.

LOL I noticed his big teeth too. I am also glad he is in a good place too.

Chasing Hawk 12-19-2013 07:56 AM

What a handsome devil.

I would have to keep him too no doubt about it. I am sure in his younger days the "girls" didn't mind his underbite. As long as he shared his kibble with them. :)

pocoellie 12-19-2013 08:33 AM

I would keep him also. Such a cutie!!

Stitch124 12-19-2013 08:39 AM

OMG! I'm in love with that little guy!!!

kayluvs2quilt 12-19-2013 12:10 PM

That is why I know I COULD NOT be a foster...I would not be able to let him go. Made my heart go all mooshie!!!

auntpiggylpn 12-19-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt (Post 6464374)
That is why I know I COULD NOT be a foster...I would not be able to let him go. Made my heart go all mooshie!!!

I am unable to be part of the physical act of returning our fosters to the shelter. I stay home, cry a little (ok, a LOT!) and hug my fur babies. I know that I am just a bridge for these throw aways; I only get to keep them for a little while. My job is to give them a safe & warm place to live, food in their bellies, sometimes teach them some manners and pour love all over them so they know that not all humans are bad and that they are worthy of being cared about. I know I can't keep them all but I sure can love them all. Once the fosters return to the shelter, we are active in getting them adopted. We help network through the shelter's social media page and it is really helpful when the foster family posts about the animal and can actually answer questions for the potential adopters. I am happy to say that ALL of the dogs we have fostered have been successfully adopted within 1-2 weeks of returning to the shelter!!