Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Still rather shocked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/still-rather-shocked-t164029.html)

quiltmouse 10-31-2011 03:52 PM

Jiminy Cricket. Lots of nerve. Probably a reason she's not working... an addiction or embezzlement... I guess she could have a real need and you were "nice" to her so she thought, "what the heck, I'll ask". Sad.

butterflywing 10-31-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Sounds like she's quite desperate, enough so to realize she has nothing to lose by asking.

I agree, I wouldn't loan her the money (unless you felt you could afford the risk of never seeing it again and she tells you exactly what it's for - of course, if you co-signed a loan for her, you'd probably learn what it's for). But I wouldn't take offense at her asking, since she probably isn't trying to be an opportunist.

I'd be shocked, too, though.

i have to agree. it is rather nervy, but she must be desperate to ask a relative stranger. maybe she has no one else to ask and who knows? it might be a health or some other very important issue. however, i would definitely not lend her money under any circumstances. you might never see the money or her again. in fact, in this economy, i dont know if i would lend money to half my good friends or relatives. nothing like money to break up a good relationship.

i wouldn't go so far as to think she has an addiction though. and people are losing their jobs all over the place. i think she's desperate and has nowhere else to turn (and i'm the most cynical person on earth, but this is pathetic).

pocoellie 10-31-2011 06:23 PM

I would be shocked also, my goodness, that I believe takes the cake.

mickeyrules 10-31-2011 06:26 PM

Wow....I don't even know how to respond to that. I've heard of people being bold & doing things you just can't understand but that is definitely the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. That is extremely weird. :hunf:

mickeyrules 10-31-2011 06:28 PM

I agree...she does need to be reported to her employer at least. I'm so sorry for your loss & the nerve of people. just stunned....

Grannymom 11-01-2011 05:51 AM

so, did you call anybody? go to the bank?
inquiring minds want to know...

Patchwork Pam 11-01-2011 06:27 AM

I would have said, " omg, things have been so tough here at my house, I was just thinking of calling you and seeing if you could loan me some money. " Bet she would have some second thoughts about askingfor a loan from someone she barely knows. lol

Michellesews 11-01-2011 06:35 AM

It sounds like she is in desperate trouble and somehow felt that you would be willing to help. In these times, there is a lot of desperation and you must keep your wallet close or join the ranks of the desperate, unfortunately.
Michelle