Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   stolen quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stolen-quilt-t86495.html)

julie 12-31-2010 11:45 AM

Not sure if I should post this here or under "Main" but here goes: I get a newletter called "Quilters Village Newsletter". Today there was a story about a quilt stolen off a front porch in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho just before Christmas. A mother made and sent it to her daughter, who is getting married. Evidently, the entire neighborhood was struck by thieves taking any boxes off porches. I believe the pattern was a type of star pattern with messages about "faith, hope, joy" interspersed. The mother is watching Ebay to see if it comes up for auction, others are suggesting checking craigslist, etc. Anyway, I wanted to pass this along, reminding us again, to require signatures for anything we send to someone to avoid this heartbreak. My heart breaks to think that beautiful quilt may have been just tossed in a dumpster by ignorant, despicable thieves.

newquilter10 12-31-2010 11:52 AM

So sorry to hear about that story. It takes a lot of love to makes these quilts and then someone just takes them. I hope she does find it.

Coley Banicki 12-31-2010 11:52 AM

Oh my that is terrible! Why do people do such things?! I hope they do find it!

MaggieLou 12-31-2010 11:57 AM

I also insure mine for the full retail price when shipping them. The quilt may be lost/stolen but at least I can recoup the cost of time and material and make another one if necessary.

Momma_K 12-31-2010 12:05 PM

Thats terrible!! I hope whoever took it is haunted by their actions! :evil:

maine ladybug 12-31-2010 12:51 PM

Oh how sad! I feel so badly for all concerned. Unfortunately there are always going to be people who will do such things.

SherriB 12-31-2010 12:55 PM

How awful!! I would even check thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army. I hope it is found. I made my DD a quilt for Christmas and would be heart broken if it was stolen. Hopefuly, what goes around will come back and kick the thieves in the hiney.

fabricmaniac 12-31-2010 12:57 PM

In 2001 had an art quilt that won a ribbon in AZ at the state guild show in PHX and was later juried into an art gallery in Ft. Collins, CO. When mailed back to me after 4 months, it was stolen from the local PO!!! While I had it insured for $3000. I would never have received that amount except that I had a ribbon, profession photos (for Louisa Smith's Strip 'n Curves book) AND the papers for the juried show. THE USPS will take your dollars, but unless you have some proof of value (an appraisal, for instance) you will only get back "replacement" value. In my case... maybe $6-700. BEWARE! Once I realized (after a month) it wasn't going to show up I advertised it on the website "Missing Quilts", but it's never come back to me.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-31-2010 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by fabricmaniac
In 2001 had an art quilt that won a ribbon in AZ at the state guild show in PHX and was later juried into an art gallery in Ft. Collins, CO. When mailed back to me after 4 months, it was stolen from the local PO!!! While I had it insured for $3000. I would never have received that amount except that I had a ribbon, profession photos (for Louisa Smith's Strip 'n Curves book) AND the papers for the juried show. THE USPS will take your dollars, but unless you have some proof of value (an appraisal, for instance) you will only get back "replacement" value. In my case... maybe $6-700. BEWARE! Once I realized (after a month) it wasn't going to show up I advertised it on the website "Missing Quilts", but it's never come back to me.

That just breaks my heart.
I believe in Karma.

joan_quilts 12-31-2010 08:12 PM

What is wrong with people? I am thinking the only way I will ship quilts is if the reciepint signs for it.