Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Storing Silver (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/storing-silver-t245607.html)

CindyA 04-22-2014 02:21 PM

Storing Silver

I have a few silver utensils. I polished them and wrapped them tightly in Saran Wrap. It seemed to stop them from tarnishing. Has anyone else tried this? I'm debating on whether or not to buy some of that specialty fabric to store them in (that prevents tarnishing) or just keep on using the plastic wrap.

tessagin 04-22-2014 02:33 PM

You might check on YouTube. That's all I got but that is my go to search for anything now.

Billi 04-23-2014 04:54 AM

I have also heard that vacuuming sealing your silver is the best way to go to keep it tarnish free. It would work great for utensils but anything else could be a challenge.

Geri B 04-23-2014 06:39 AM

I don't use silver pieces anymore....years ago I would religiously polish the silver monthly....got rid of it all......better things to do....also got rid of silver jewelry...when I wanted to wear apiece, had to polish it first...better things to do...JMHO. Oh, yes silverware was in a special cloth lined drawer....slowed down the tarnish...silver trays, tea/coffee set was on display and trays were in break front. It is the air that causes the tarnish to flourish. Life is now easier with polished stainless pieces and glass pieces!!!!

KalamaQuilts 04-23-2014 06:46 AM

the few pieces I have I use. Otherwise what is the point of having it? I don't mean that in a snide way, I just do not see the reason to keep things that are packed aways for good. Aren't we good enough?

nativetexan 04-23-2014 06:49 AM

I used to store my silver jewelry in a polishing cloth. no trouble with it tarnishing.

toverly 04-23-2014 12:32 PM

I rarely use my silver so I have it stored in the silver cloth stuff. It works. I usually don't have to polish when I use it.

CindyA 04-23-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 6687765)
the few pieces I have I use. Otherwise what is the point of having it? I don't mean that in a snide way, I just do not see the reason to keep things that are packed aways for good. Aren't we good enough?

Agreed, but I have two rough boys and don't want it going into the disposal by accident!! Plus, I've been told not to wash it in the dishwasher, especially the knives because the blade might blow out the handle (they are different metals). I have plenty of everyday stainless utensils and wanted the silver just for fun and something special every now and then. I picked them up at an antique store and the hunt was fun. :)

athomenow 04-23-2014 03:22 PM

I find the older I am the less patience I have for things I always thought were so cool. I have lots of silver from my DH's grandmother and I store it in plastic wrap. We never use it. I don't have anyone to pass it to so I'm sure it will end up in GW someday. I do use all my dishes because I am worth it. I do hand wash all my good china and the good silverware but that's all I'm going to do. I tell my kids you spend you youth and young adulthood collecting things and then your old age trying to get rid of it. They say well get with it and get it gone! Ha

QuiltMom2 04-24-2014 04:04 AM

"you spend you youth and young adulthood collecting things and then your old age trying to get rid of it." I've just realized: I've passed into old age!!!!!!
P.S. I like your kids' response too. Must be they got their common sense from their mother!