Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   stove cleaning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stove-cleaning-t45481.html)

trolley station 05-10-2010 04:33 PM

Hi.....Need some help. Anyone have any idea how to clean the grates that go over the burners on the stove? Mine are really in need of cleaning. I don't know if I can use over cleaner on them or not. Thanks, Lois

Up North 05-10-2010 04:36 PM

If they are gas burner covers you can soak them in dawn dish soap and hot water the scrub them with a fine steel wool or I use an old toothbrush in the corners. Don't know what you do with electric.

sewcrazygirl 05-10-2010 04:36 PM

Easy Off and Brillo on my Gas Stove, not sure about electric.

AnnaK 05-10-2010 04:55 PM

I put mine in the dishwasher every now and then.

Farmer Girl 05-10-2010 05:03 PM

I love this time of year - good riddance snow! I just throw mine in a black garbage bag (along with the oven racks), put in a cup of ammonia and park them in the sun for the afternoon (at least a couple of hours). Pour the ammonia off in a bucket for a little free nitrogen for the bedding plants after diluting with water. Take the hose to those nasty stove and oven parts and they should rinse clean and shine, shine, shine! Sometimes I do have to use a little elbow grease and an SOS pad, but the gunk comes right off. My grates are gray enamel and I've been doing this for years with no problem.

amandasgramma 05-10-2010 05:07 PM

I do the ammonia trick, too, except I just put the garbage bag in my sink, fill with the drip pans and rings, add the ammonia, close it up and go to bed. The next day I rinse them off and sometimes have to do very little scrubbing!!!! Easy Peasy!

Janetlmt 05-10-2010 05:23 PM

I use something made by Dawn..it comes in a small pump type container. It is a gel..put the grates on paper..spray them and let them sit for a few hours...the junk melts off of them.

DianD 05-10-2010 07:18 PM

If you have a self-cleaning oven, put the grates in the oven, turn it on to clean, and let it do its magic! When they come out, they will be ashy, so give them a rinse and a dry, then stand back and admire how good and clean they are! This also work for bar-be-que grills. Your grates AND oven will all be clean at the same time! Fabulous!

butterflywing 05-11-2010 09:34 AM

i've used the self-cleaning oven to clean the racks and br-b-que grills and i'm sorry. they lose their brightness and they don't slide well anymore. for the
grates on the top, i use spray-on oven cleaner and run out of the room for one hour or so. when i rinse, they are perfect. IF i don't wait forever to do it.

watterstide 05-11-2010 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Farmer Girl
I love this time of year - good riddance snow! I just throw mine in a black garbage bag (along with the oven racks), put in a cup of ammonia and park them in the sun for the afternoon (at least a couple of hours). Pour the ammonia off in a bucket for a little free nitrogen for the bedding plants after diluting with water. Take the hose to those nasty stove and oven parts and they should rinse clean and shine, shine, shine! Sometimes I do have to use a little elbow grease and an SOS pad, but the gunk comes right off. My grates are gray enamel and I've been doing this for years with no problem.

Exactly!