Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Super easy ~ wonderful cat or dog bed tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/super-easy-%7E-wonderful-cat-dog-bed-tutorial-t181138.html)

onaemtnest 03-02-2012 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel (Post 5022702)
That is so cute and just too easy not to make. My cat will love it, I hope, so she will get out of my chair. I may try one for our dog, but I will have to work on making it bigger. Thanks for sharing.

This is precisely why I made them so the cats would use them and not lie directly on the furniture. :0) As you can see they prefer the cuddle of the fleece bed wrapping around them.

To make the bed bigger and I have, for our Grand Puppies....90# Labs you just don't fold the fleece and cut the semi-circle....you buy the yardage and layer the fleece. It really isn't an exact science once you make them, its very forgiving it doesn't even have to be a perfect circle. Once you snip the edges and tie ~ it all comes 'together' no matter the shape. I would think you could even make it square. The snipped edges roll the edges inward once you start tying it. So this technique can be used for any size dog.

joym 03-02-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5021296)
ha! I love the group picture ;-)

love that picture too...precious. I will make a cat bed for my cat, Twilight and hopefully make some for the shelter. Thanks for the tut.

echoemb 03-02-2012 06:11 AM

Your yellow kitty made me laugh out loud this morning. He looks so proud of himself. Thanks for the link, I have 3 dogs and a step cat so I am going to try to make the beds for everybody.

onaemtnest 03-02-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 (Post 5023972)
Very Cute! Now tell me how to make them for a Great Dane and a Rottweiler!

You can do it! :0)

I've made one for our friend who has a Rottie ~ her girl is really a stout big cattle ranch working dog. Just by the yardage, I think, if I remember I bought the widest fleece available 56" ~ layered two pieces ~ cut the circle with a quilt tape ruler the long tape I think it's 108". You can even join pieces easily as fleece is so forgiving. It's going to take a lot of poly fill to fill that big of bed. My girlfriend bought a 5# box of poly fill and we used nearly all of it, if I remember correctly.

My friends Rottie is a cattle dog and I made a fleece coat for her Rottie and lined (stuffed between the layers) with the left over poly fiber fill. Because her dog goes out in sub-zero weather with my friend when it's calving time, she'd get so cold...now she won't even get out of the truck until my friend puts her coat on her. :0)

onaemtnest 03-02-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by echoemb (Post 5024167)
Your yellow kitty made me laugh out loud this morning. He looks so proud of himself. Thanks for the link, I have 3 dogs and a step cat so I am going to try to make the beds for everybody.

Isn't the yellow Tom, Kip-Purr a hoot! He's got relaxation down to a fine science :0) Your going to be amazed at how easy and wonderful these beds are to make! Be sure and post pictures! Fleece is so inexpensive especially right now...Poly Fill in 5# boxes with coupon at JoAnn's...

slbram17 03-02-2012 06:23 AM

Love the pics of your cat beds...looks like they are enjoying their beds.
Serita

katkat1946 03-02-2012 06:36 AM

FANTASTIC!!! Thanks so much. My kitties will love this.

Crqltr 03-02-2012 06:37 AM

Love the pics...but where do the big people get to sit?..looks like the best spots ate taken!!

WMUTeach 03-02-2012 06:39 AM

Ah, the look of contented kitties! I reviewed the tut and by Jove, I've got it! My Scout kitty will be having a new bed soon.

Girlie Girl certainly has the look of the royals! She must be be a relative of my Scout. Same markings and always looks ready to wear her tiara. I shall put on my servant's garb and return to the sewing room to wait up the princess by creating a snugly little bed.

sewnsewer2 03-02-2012 06:57 AM

Oh so comfy looking! I wonder if my cats would use a bed?