Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Super Pod of Orcas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/super-pod-orcas-t228921.html)

MaryKatherine 08-29-2013 04:20 AM

What wonderful sight to see. As a Canadian I'm delighted with how the peoples of our West Coast advocate hard for the protection of the life in the inland waters. Wish it was more prevalent elsewhere.
MaryKatherine

ljptexas 08-29-2013 04:36 AM

Very, very, very neat!! Awesome creatures......

nonda 08-29-2013 05:02 AM

How cool is that????? I absolutely LOVE whales. Have seen them a few times in Hawaii and fell in love at first sight :)

Evie 08-29-2013 07:36 AM

Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Caswews 08-29-2013 07:49 AM

How majestic ... Thanks for sharing !

jothesewer2 08-29-2013 08:48 AM

Wow, what a beautiful sight. There are so many different animals of the water areas. We are in Indiana so we don't know about animals and beauty of the lakes and oceans. Do you serve whale, manatee, shark and other sea meat in restaurants?
Thanks for sharing.
Jothesewer

Tothill 08-29-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by jothesewer2 (Post 6262225)
Wow, what a beautiful sight. There are so many different animals of the water areas. We are in Indiana so we don't know about animals and beauty of the lakes and oceans. Do you serve whale, manatee, shark and other sea meat in restaurants?
Thanks for sharing.
Jothesewer

Whales are a protected species world wide unless you are First Nations in which case they do allow occasional hunts. I do not know of anyone on the West Coast who eats seal, but on Canada's East Coast seal meat is eaten. Seals are prolific off the West Coast, there are Sea Lions seasonally on the coast too.

Sharks locally are Dog Fish bottom feeders and not generally eaten. I have caught them when fishing for Ling Cod and we just throw them back.

No Manatees around here.

Most the seafood fished and served locally are:
Salmon - 5 species
Cod - lots of varieties
Rock Fish - many varieties, beautiful sweet flesh
Halibut - lovely fish can grow to enormous size (well over 100 pounds, most caught are smaller)
Crab - Dungeness is most common the smaller rock crab is yummy too, just more work to get the meat out
Prawns and Shrimp - Spotted Prawns are seasonal as are Side Stripe Shrimp
Bivalves - Muscles, clams scallops and oysters some of the best in the world. All are farmed in the ocean and some are wild. Shipped world wide
Sea Urchin - Uni is Sea Urchin Roe and prized in Japanese food

There are other things harvested from the local ocean, some consumed locally and other shipped around the world.

We are lucky to live near the ocean.

retiredteacher09 08-29-2013 02:29 PM

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing it!

tessagin 08-29-2013 02:30 PM

Thanks so much for sharing! Once down here in one of the bays a very large pod of dolphins were playing. We lost count after 10-12. Love watching the animals and aquatics in their natural habitat. My niece was with us and they were moving across the water. She said "Look they're dancing like Michael Jackson doing the "Moon Walk". We were so happy she was able to experience the moment.

RugosaB 08-29-2013 04:57 PM

Awesome!

I'm from Ohio, near Lake Erie, that's about all I know about large bodies of water.
We went to Alaska 8 years ago and went on some boat, for a whale watching trip
It was ok, but then, for about a mile and a half, 50-60 ft from our side of the boat, a mother whale was teaching her calf how to jump. We couldn't have asked for a more exciting show

That, and the Puffin that eats so much in the water that it can't fly away until it poops (who knew I'd find my kindred spirit in Alaska?), were the highlights of the trip up north