Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Surprise! Elmer's glue not just for quilting!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/surprise-elmers-glue-not-just-quilting-t227241.html)

GemState 08-04-2013 08:20 AM

Surprise! Elmer's glue not just for quilting!!

I have been using Elmer's washable glue for quite a while on bindings, sandwiching, etc. This morning I was getting dressed and have a boat-necked top that slips down over my shoulders. I have been pinning it to my bra straps but that isn't easy. I thought of good old Elmer, and glued my top to my straps and am good to go!!!

rebeljane 08-04-2013 08:28 AM

Necessity is the mother of inventions. Good idea

Tashana 08-04-2013 10:59 AM

My DH and I just made crackle finish on our new table top using Elmer's Glue. Now is the time to stock up - school supplies are on sale, everywhere.

misspriss 08-04-2013 11:39 AM

I have a blouse that gaps at the top, the buttons are too far down, so I use the tube and a "little dot will do you."

nativetexan 08-04-2013 01:21 PM

Ha, ha. Reminds me of girls using staples to hold up their hem when it's come undone.

mighty 08-04-2013 03:46 PM

Great idea!!!!!!

DJRustic 08-05-2013 03:49 AM

I just tried Elmer's glue for the first time for basting. I feel the quilt is a bit too stiff. Do you think I did too much? I am going to hand quilt this & I hope it isn't too much. How do you know when enough is enough. I put it pretty much all over squeezing from the bottle. Then I took a brush & smoothed it out. I know it has to be washed out but could I take apart 7 re-glue or would I just be adding insult to injury. It is a hexie quilt and plan on quilting each hexie. I ironed or heat set as I went but the quilt seemed a little damp so I hung it outside to dry good. HELP!!!

Retired Fire Chief 08-05-2013 04:10 AM

Don't laugh about the staples on hems, I used packing tape on the hem of my uniform pants once to get through the day at work. If only I had possessed an Elmer's glue stick!

quiltmom04 08-05-2013 06:55 AM

Haha! Great idea! I'm going to use it!!

Treasureit 08-05-2013 07:01 AM

Your question might get lost in this thread...try a new posting...I have wondered this too. But I am thinking you may have used too much. I use tiny dots about 4" apart, but sometimes they don't stick it together...so I think this is a good guestion.

Originally Posted by DJRustic (Post 6216161)
I just tried Elmer's glue for the first time for basting. I feel the quilt is a bit too stiff. Do you think I did too much? I am going to hand quilt this & I hope it isn't too much. How do you know when enough is enough. I put it pretty much all over squeezing from the bottle. Then I took a brush & smoothed it out. I know it has to be washed out but could I take apart 7 re-glue or would I just be adding insult to injury. It is a hexie quilt and plan on quilting each hexie. I ironed or heat set as I went but the quilt seemed a little damp so I hung it outside to dry good. HELP!!!