Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tax Act (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tax-act-t239364.html)

Jingle 01-22-2014 08:51 AM

We own a business and have an accountant do our taxes, business and personal. Keeps me from loosing sleep.

Snooze2978 01-22-2014 10:01 AM

I used to use Tax Act but since retiring with a pension, moving and now have added S.S., state tax and stocks to my list, I feel better letting someone with a lot more knowledge figure out my taxes. Also found out having a cemetery plot you have to pay property taxes on it too.

LJDay 01-22-2014 10:06 AM

The BASIC Tax Act is free for the federal return. Have to pay to get state return done. If you use the more advanced version, you have to pay for it.
I have been using Tax Act for years and never had a problem.

caspharm 01-22-2014 11:55 AM

We use H&R Block online and have never had a problem.

CAS49OR 01-22-2014 12:23 PM

I've been using TaxAct for years and it's really easy. It is free if you fill out the information and print the return and mail it yourself. I opt to pay to e-file federal and state and save my information for the next year. This costs about $14.95 which is billed when you actually e-file.

Roberta 01-22-2014 02:19 PM

I have used Tax Act for years and like them very much. I've not had a problem with the filing and the actual forms to fill out are free but there is a low charge to e-file them. I also like that they store your info from year to year on a secure site so all you have to fill in are the latest figures for that year, the names, SS#, etc. are already filled out.

kdid82 01-22-2014 05:33 PM

H&R Block has a free tax program, also there's a Turbo tax program that's free

Onebyone 01-23-2014 06:18 AM

I took the advice of a fellow poster here and had two different tax people do my taxes. What a difference! The one we had been using had us paying several hundred more then the other. So we went with a third. The third one confirmed we owed less.We have probably lost a lot of money using the same preparer over the years. We thought she kept up with all the different tax changes. She didn't. Never settle for just one preparer's word if you owe or feel you should have more refund.

ntroxel 01-23-2014 06:25 AM

We used to use Turbo Tax, but about 5 years ago we had a very complicated issue come up and went to an accountant to do the taxes. He went back 3 years and found stuff Turbo Tax missed. We use this accountant since then. He is very reasonable.

donnajean 01-23-2014 07:05 AM

I have been using H&R Block's online "free" program for years with no problems. They do not charge for "free" electronic filing & you get a "confirmation" that your filing as been accepted by the IRS. When you mail your return, you have no proof that you actually filed. I think the tax software programs are very user friendly now, & they ask you questions that a tax preparer may not think to ask you. I have a pension, collect social security, & have investments. I also do yearly ROTH Conversions. With H&R Block, all the correct forms are automatically provided as needed. I also print out my completed return as well as filing electronically. I also file my PA state return on line for free.