Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tax Act (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tax-act-t239364.html)

quilterj 01-21-2014 04:44 PM

Tax Act

Was checking out tax act and have a question.It says that it is free but says it still says it charges. Is it really under $20.00? My husband said not to do them online because he heard someone did theirs and their identity got got stolen but then that is with anything. Are these tax softwares safe to do and are they easy?

Chasing Hawk 01-21-2014 05:41 PM

I don't know, we always have our accountant do our taxes.
They know the tax laws and all the deductions that are allowed.

Dyan 01-21-2014 06:04 PM

For the free websites go through IRS.GOV there is a link on there, and it is easy to understand what are the requirements for free filing. I have used it for several years, no problems.

NJ Quilter 01-21-2014 06:51 PM

Sorry, I'm a dinosaur, here. I still file paper returns. Do very little online anything for the reasons you state. I just get the fed/state tax forms/books and go through them line/line. Doesn't usually take all that long and I don't find it particularly difficult. Might need to find an accountant this year due to some new business activity.

I used Turbo Tax ages ago and was not happy. At the time you answered a series of questions and then it gave you what it thought the appropriate line items you needed to complete. Well, since it didn't ask the questions regarding LLC's or other small businesses, didn't work out too well for me. I did much better on my own with paper/pencil.

But that's just me. Might work for you if you have a relatively uncomplicated tax situation.

Quilting Grandma 01-21-2014 08:15 PM

Just a thought. Check in your area to see if AARP has a "Tax-Wise" in your area. They have well trained preparers and do the work for free for over 50 and low income. My husband has been working for them for 10 years. They are very accurate. Good luck!

kydeb 01-22-2014 05:54 AM

I don't know what your earned income is but there is a program that will do your taxes for free (including electronic filing) if you meet certain guidelines. Search for the VITA tax service. It is a nationwide program. There should be local agencies doing it in your area. You can call and get an appointment. I volunteer and do taxes for them and it's a great program!!

Tfch8184 01-22-2014 06:21 AM

I hate the thought of messing up my taxes using things like turbo tax. I pay h&r block a go jillion dollars to do it for me. With all the extra stuff that is claimed for work and different forms I just can't risk messing up.

tkee 01-22-2014 07:03 AM

I've used taxact online for several years. I think there is a free version, but for around $10 it remembers your info from the previous year, adds whatever extra forms you need, etc. You can print and save your return as well. You can actually print and mail it if you prefer instead of submitting it online. I submit mine online. I've been very happy with it.

tessagin 01-22-2014 07:11 AM

DH does ours. He had been using Turbo Tax. But last year I think he went to IRS.GOV/whaterver. Each weekend that he gets paid he enters information into Quicken/Quick Books. Comes time to do taxes he puts that information into whatever. Sign couple papers, fax and auto deposit into acct within 10 - 15 days or pay on 4-14.

MaggieLou 01-22-2014 07:30 AM

I've used Turbo Tax for years with online filing and I've never had a problem. Plus you get your refund faster by filing online.