Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Things that make you go "Hmmmmm" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/things-make-you-go-%22hmmmmm%22-t31166.html)

pal 12-08-2009 08:42 PM

I would go out in the office and say "Hey, who gave me this
great book? I LOVE IT!!!!! Then if someone says that they
did it add "It was so nice of you. Thank you for thinking of me."

If it was done maliciously, that should knock them over.

pittsburgpam 12-08-2009 08:51 PM

Esqmommy, you are so sweet to say that and thank you for giving me another perspective.

I feel better having "talked" with you all about it. It doesn't bother me and I also can't imagine anyone I know doing it as a hint. If it was someone I don't really know then what do I care what they think anyway?

Moonpi 12-08-2009 09:00 PM

It doesn't surprise me that someone could be so rude - look at the degrading shows on tv like "The biggest Loser". Anorexics are worshipped, and role models are airbrushed dolls.

It is the only acceptable bit of bigotry actively promoted. I would bring it to your HR person if you are in a big company. With jobs being so tight, it is hard to say what to do.

I admire you taking the high road, but keep your eyes open.

amma 12-08-2009 09:25 PM

I wonder if you were the only one who received one? Others may have too, but haven't spoke up about it.
It still does not sit well with me, but I am glad that you are not going to let it get to you!!!

MadQuilter 12-08-2009 09:32 PM

I would offer it up with a note. Something like: "This was obviously sent to the wrong recipient" in really big letters and I would sign it.

If I felt really frisky, I'd add: But if anyone has a "1000 recipes with Butter and Chocolate," I'd LOVE that book."

Maribeth 12-09-2009 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I would offer it up with a note. Something like: "This was obviously sent to the wrong recipient" in really big letters and I would sign it.

If I felt really frisky, I'd add: But if anyone has a "1000 recipes with Butter and Chocolate," I'd LOVE that book."

wish I had thought of that :thumbup:

pittsburgpam 12-09-2009 01:52 PM

I believe it though I wish it wasn't true. Smokers and the overweight are the some of the last groups that it is OK to discriminate against.

How far in eroding personal freedoms will it go before the general public has had enough? A whole lot of harm can be done under the guise of "protecting" people from themselves or protecting society from them.

I have been using e-cigarettes (quit smoking 4 months ago) and even these are being banned in a knee jerk reaction and at the proding of anti-smoking groups. They aren't "protecting" anyone from second-hand smoke or a drain on society's finanaces and health care. They are trying to regulate BEHAVIOR and the APPEARANCE of smoking.

The world would be a much better place if they would turn their attention to things that are more important IMO... like clean water and food, poverty and human rights.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

jljack 12-09-2009 02:03 PM

Definately a little rude to do it anonymously. If they wanted to do it out of kindness, how about a little note explaining their motivation.... Actually, I'm not sure there is a good way to give someone a weight loss cookbook without being asked for it. You're right..... HMMMMMM!!!

jljack 12-09-2009 02:05 PM

And, Pam, I have to totally agree on the legislating Behavior comment.....people have given up being responsible for their own actions, because the Government wants to tell them everything they can and can't do.

sandpat 12-09-2009 04:23 PM

Oh gosh Pam...you are opening up a huge can of worms...it makes my blood boil!

And congrats on the quitting smoking...I quit in June of 07...its so nice to to have to deal with all the ugly comments along with all the other bad things that accompany smoking. Its so crazy...people think we don't know its not healthy??? DUH!!!