Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   For Those Of You... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/those-you-t271390.html)

Sandra-P 10-23-2015 10:13 AM

For Those Of You...

Who have a shellfish allergy or know someone who does, stay away from Anchovies! I have shellfish allergies but didn't know that Anchovies have the same protein as shellfish. I found this out because I ate a Cesar salad and the dressing contains anchovies. I was violently ill. Hope this saves someone from what I went through.

lynnie 10-23-2015 02:26 PM

also, if you're allergic to peanuts, don't eat eggrolls, they put a 5lb jar of peanut butter into the eggroll mix to hold it together and give it flavor. I worked in Chinese for over 5 yrs, and was shocked when I saw this.

romanojg 10-24-2015 06:16 AM

Woreshishire (sorry wrong sp) but it has anchovies in it as well.

bdschafer 10-24-2015 08:01 AM

Thanks everyone. Didn't know that about egg rolls!!!!! I also have shellfish allergy but don't like anchovies!!!

IBQUILTIN 10-24-2015 09:59 AM

People with allergies have to be so very careful. The least amount of an allergen can make you deathly ill. I am allergic to artificial sweetners, and someone opening a packet across the room from me can be frightful if there is a little breeze, even from an AC unit.

ManiacQuilter2 10-24-2015 11:47 AM

Thanks. I have a friend who suffers from terrible allergies. I will forward this onto her.

Onebyone 10-24-2015 12:37 PM

As a young adult I ate Lobster for the first time. I swelled horribly the next day. I went to military clinic and was told I had a reaction to the Lobster, given injection and sent home. The Dr. told me to try a small bit of shell fish once a month, increasing it a little at a time. If I swelled as bad as before then don't eat shellfish. I did that and the swelling decreased each time I ate it. I now can eat all I want and no reaction. I didn't get sick, just swollen.

tessagin 10-24-2015 03:01 PM

I ate at a friend's house who made homemade Chinese egg rolls from scratch and never used peanut butter to make them. I watched her make them the day before. She did use peanut oil to fry them in but noit peanut butter to make them.

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7353825)
also, if you're allergic to peanuts, don't eat eggrolls, they put a 5lb jar of peanut butter into the eggroll mix to hold it together and give it flavor. I worked in Chinese for over 5 yrs, and was shocked when I saw this.

My friend is of Chinese ancestry.

tessagin 10-24-2015 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN (Post 7354497)
People with allergies have to be so very careful. The least amount of an allergen can make you deathly ill. I am allergic to artificial sweetners, and someone opening a packet across the room from me can be frightful if there is a little breeze, even from an AC unit.

It's such a fine powder. I can't stand the taste. It's all too sweet.

tessagin 10-24-2015 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 7354273)
Woreshishire (sorry wrong sp) but it has anchovies in it as well.

Didn't doubt your word just had to check my bottle. Yep!