Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   thread conditioning embroidery floss? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thread-conditioning-embroidery-floss-t300478.html)

Jane Quilter 10-26-2018 07:23 AM

thread conditioning embroidery floss?

Does anyone condition DMC embroidery floss with beeswax or thread heaven when doing redwork? I never have because I think it would stiffen the loops and "fluffiness" of the DMC floss, and I have never heard it recommended in project instructions. But hey, I still have trouble with knotting even after I keep my thread short, watch my needle angles, etc. Wondered if any experts on the QB have any experience with keeping DMC floss unknotted or untwisted?

Tartan 10-26-2018 07:41 AM

I have switched to the #8 perle cotton balls rather then floss for all my embroidery. No more worrying about keeping all the strands even and I use John James embroidery needles #8. I am using up my floss on tied quilts.

Jane Quilter 10-26-2018 08:52 AM

Good idea, Tartan. Are You conditioning the perle cotton with beeswax or thread heaven to reduce knots and twists?

thimblebug6000 10-26-2018 10:17 AM

I have never conditioned my embroidery floss. I do cut it about 18". and stop and let it dangle out the twists..and every once in awhile say a few bad words when it gets knotted, but why don't you try a little beeswax on a sample to see how it handles?

Tartan 10-26-2018 11:04 AM

​I don’t condition my perle cotton but I do let the needle dangle every so often if my thread twists. For some reason regular thread and perle cotton gets twist because I must rotate my needle as I sew.

cindyb 10-26-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8149935)
I have switched to the #8 perle cotton balls rather then floss for all my embroidery. No more worrying about keeping all the strands even and I use John James embroidery needles #8. I am using up my floss on tied quilts.

I also have switched to perle cotton balls. I have a ton of floss and love your idea of using it up on tied quilts. Do you use all 6 strands when doing this?

GEMRM 10-26-2018 03:48 PM

I use "Thread Heaven" if needed on my DMC embroidery floss. Sometimes I need it and other times I don't seem to.
As noted by others, I too let the needle dangle occasionally and untwist.

Tartan 10-26-2018 03:57 PM

I do use all 6 strands for tieing. I have lots of floss to use up.:)

Jane Quilter 10-26-2018 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 8150015)
why don't you try a little beeswax on a sample to see how it handles?

Ok, thimblebug, I'm up for a challenge. The result of using beeswax on two strands of DMC floss: It make two strands act as a single thread. The stitches look more even in width, (a good thing) and appears as "thick" thread. No knots, no twists. hmmm....so I am going for it, as all stitch types were not tried, I will report if I find some negative results. Now I am wondering why it is not recommended in the literature......
Thanks for all ya"lls ideas.

thimblebug6000 10-27-2018 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 8150177)
Ok, thimblebug, I'm up for a challenge. The result of using beeswax on two strands of DMC floss: It make two strands act as a single thread. The stitches look more even in width, (a good thing) and appears as "thick" thread. No knots, no twists. hmmm....so I am going for it, as all stitch types were not tried, I will report if I find some negative results. Now I am wondering why it is not recommended in the literature......
Thanks for all ya"lls ideas.

Cool! I will try it out next Tuesday at my quilt group...better put the beeswax into my bag right now! Thanks!