Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: thread conditioning embroidery floss?

Blog Entries

thread conditioning embroidery floss?

Does anyone condition DMC embroidery floss with beeswax or thread heaven when doing redwork? I never have because I think it would stiffen the loops and "fluffiness" of the DMC floss, and I have never heard it recommended in project instructions. But hey, I still have trouble with knotting even after I keep my thread short, watch my needle angles, etc. Wondered if any experts on the QB have any experience with keeping DMC floss unknotted or untwisted?

Power Poster
    I have switched to the #8 perle cotton balls rather then floss for all my embroidery. No more worrying about keeping all the strands even and I use John James embroidery needles #8. I am using up my floss on tied quilts.

Blog Entries
    Good idea, Tartan. Are You conditioning the perle cotton with beeswax or thread heaven to reduce knots and twists?

I have never conditioned my embroidery floss. I do cut it about 18". and stop and let it dangle out the twists..and every once in awhile say a few bad words when it gets knotted, but why don't you try a little beeswax on a sample to see how it handles?

Power Poster
    ​I don’t condition my perle cotton but I do let the needle dangle every so often if my thread twists. For some reason regular thread and perle cotton gets twist because I must rotate my needle as I sew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have switched to the #8 perle cotton balls rather then floss for all my embroidery. No more worrying about keeping all the strands even and I use John James embroidery needles #8. I am using up my floss on tied quilts.
    I also have switched to perle cotton balls. I have a ton of floss and love your idea of using it up on tied quilts. Do you use all 6 strands when doing this?

I use "Thread Heaven" if needed on my DMC embroidery floss. Sometimes I need it and other times I don't seem to.
    As noted by others, I too let the needle dangle occasionally and untwist.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Power Poster
    I do use all 6 strands for tieing. I have lots of floss to use up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    why don't you try a little beeswax on a sample to see how it handles?
    Ok, thimblebug, I'm up for a challenge. The result of using beeswax on two strands of DMC floss: It make two strands act as a single thread. The stitches look more even in width, (a good thing) and appears as "thick" thread. No knots, no twists. hmmm....so I am going for it, as all stitch types were not tried, I will report if I find some negative results. Now I am wondering why it is not recommended in the literature......
    Thanks for all ya"lls ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    Ok, thimblebug, I'm up for a challenge. The result of using beeswax on two strands of DMC floss: It make two strands act as a single thread. The stitches look more even in width, (a good thing) and appears as "thick" thread. No knots, no twists. hmmm....so I am going for it, as all stitch types were not tried, I will report if I find some negative results. Now I am wondering why it is not recommended in the literature......
    Thanks for all ya"lls ideas.
    Cool! I will try it out next Tuesday at my quilt group...better put the beeswax into my bag right now! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I do use all 6 strands for tieing. I have lots of floss to use up.
    Tartan do you use a fabric 'glue' on the knot when it is tied to keep it from coming undone? Like a dab of "Aleene's OK To Wash it" as I use for serge items.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Cool! I will try it out next Tuesday at my quilt group...better put the beeswax into my bag right now! Thanks!
    Okay, I too tried using the beeswax on the two strands of DMC ... it was fine, but I didn't really notice much difference, so probably won't make a habit of using it.