Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   That time again!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/time-again-t110064.html)

maryb119 03-26-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
If you have a fenced yard, borrow some geese. They will eat anything.

Love that echo solution except....what about the goose crap?

Lawn fertilizer

jpthequilter 03-26-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ljorange
Ducks are as good as geese. We have a slug problem here. We had a pair of ducks when I was little and they ate every single slug and even the eggs. I'd rather put up with duck crap than worms or slugs any day. What kind of worms are they? I've never seen worms on our cherry trees.

Our tractor supply store has live ducks on sale today.
Chickens too! It is that time of year...
Are the worms the brown stripey ones?
This sounds odd, but spray them with rug cleaner, or hairspray, something they can't tolerate, maybe oven off?

pollym44 03-26-2011 08:45 PM

Ducks are as good as geese. We have a slug problem here. We had a pair of ducks when I was little and they ate every single slug and even the eggs. I'd rather put up with duck crap than worms or slugs any day. What kind of worms are they? I've never seen worms on our cherry trees.

Eastern tent caterpillar. They grow in wild cherry trees, peach and plum, down here.

ljorange 03-27-2011 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by pollym44

Eastern tent caterpillar. They grow in wild cherry trees, peach and plum, down here.

Oh, tent caterpillars we have some years but not others. They are indeed icky. My dad used to cut them down and burn the tents.

pollym44 03-27-2011 06:25 AM

We would, well my DH, cut down the tents he could reach and burn them. Some of these trees can grow to 70', 3' base, so it hard to get them all. They seem to have gotten smarter---they stay up high now. None on the limbs that can be reached have tents on them.
I let my sister's kids toll me outside yesterday, that lasted a hot second, worms all over my potted plants and the roses. Tried to break a piece of a plant for my NIL, but just as I put my hand
on it, I saw the plant moving, waving. Don't remember this plant being a waver!! Now, it was in between me and the door and my hand was about to land on a worm infested plant. Needless to say, she spent the rest of her visit re-planting what was left laying on the carport when I made my way to the door. She had her choice of pieces and some of the dirt it had been in too. Cracked my knee on the door frame, so now DH has the football foot and I've got the basketball knee. There should be a law against things that make "old women" have to run, when their minds have to search to remember just how that process worked!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

samifel 03-27-2011 07:16 AM

Nothing hairy here...too much ice and snow, but I did spot the first of the Canadian Geese arriving. Now although they are a big beautiful bird, when you get a flock of them on your lawn, what they leave behind looks like a pack of dogs ate laxative for breakfast.......