That time again!!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Well ladies, it's that time when those ugly, hairy worms are all over the cherry, plum and peach trees. They are brown and black and hairy. This is the only thing I will allow myself to HATE!!! The trees are loaded with them and they have already begun to crawl all over the place. The lawn will look like a moving carpet and they get all over the house, under the carport as well as eat everything in their path. :hunf: Needless to say, I'm in for a while!!! :mrgreen:
Can't cut the tree, it hangs over the street. Tried to saw the limbs, 1 at a time, but that's a big tree. What's an old girl to do?? Too high to spray, and I'm too old to keep running and screaming every time I venture outside and see one. :mrgreen:
Thought about throwing gas and finding a match, but, house too close to tree. I poured boxes of salt around the tree, but, the salt-loving thing just grew more. :hunf:
What's an old girl to do??? QUILT YOU SAY, well I hate that those darn worms have the control to make me stay inside when I'd rather be outside looking at the new roses, not the ones they ate the tops out of once they're gone. :thumbdown:
Well I guess I could secure [army talk] the windows and doors just in case they try to cross THIS enemy line. :hunf:
Well ladies, thanks for letting me vent. OH----does anyone have one of the big fire guns they use to clear the jungle???? I'll pay top money for it!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Ick! I can deal with almost anything but worms!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM

If you have a fenced yard, borrow some geese. They will eat anything.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Love that echo solution except....what about the goose crap?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Ramona, I grew up in the country and everybody had ducks and geese. Not anymore, they only ones I see now are the wild ones flying south for the winter. :hunf:
Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM

I feel your pain i have red and black beetles that have invaded my house i have a crawlspace as part of my basment and they over winter in there and im constantly sqishing them but they just come back im realy hopping for warmer weather soon so they will all go out side hopefully.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Have you searched for a systemic remedy that can be spread on the ground, around the base of the tree, that can be sucked up by the roots? I don't know if such a think exists but it's worth a search or inquiry at your nearest plant center. Reminds me of the Gypsy moth problem we had a few years back. Yuck!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Try a band of duck tape around tape tree with Vaseline in it It seems to work for the darn things here!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Have you tried Boric Acid, sprinkled aroun d the base of the tree. I bought my box at the dollar store, but I'm sure you can find it at the hardware store, or Walmart.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Boric Acid and Diatomaceous Earth, mixed. The Boric Acid is poisonous, and the Diatomaceous Earth is like microscopic sharp shards of glass that cut the insects and they dehydrate. It's also called a mechanical insecticide.