Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tips for cleaning sheet vinyl floors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tips-cleaning-sheet-vinyl-floors-t263285.html)

Sandygirl 03-29-2015 02:40 AM

Tips for cleaning sheet vinyl floors?

We had a wood plank -look floor installed in the kitchen almost 3 years. I love it! I was doing a thorough cleaning yesterday and i pulled my table away from the wall. The vinyl, in its original condition, was an eye-opener to how dirt gets lodged in the floor where it gets foot trafic. Yikes!

Goggling for cleaning ideas, some said to use water with vinegar. Did not help. Another said to use Scubbing Bubbles to loosen the dirt. Only after I read the ingredients will I consider this. I doubt that I will use my Swiffer in the future once I clean up this floor. I think it just "fills" the small crevices as I push it around the floor.

Anyone have success with deep cleaning a vinyl floor!?

Thanks!
Sandy

NJ Quilter 03-29-2015 03:45 AM

We installed the 'allure' brand wood-look plank flooring in our dining room a coupe of years ago. There is a brand specific cleaner for that flooring at Home Depot. Perhaps that would help?

Sandygirl 03-29-2015 04:11 AM

I use the brand specific cleaner but the issue is that it "cleans" and "waxes" at the same time....locking in the crevice dirt. The use of my Swiffer apparently adds to the issue.

sandy

ManiacQuilter2 03-29-2015 04:16 AM

I had old flooring vinyl from 1970 in my old mobile home and never could get the dirt out of the crevices.

Tartan 03-29-2015 04:22 AM

I have one of those old fashioned electric floor cleaners with 2 round brushes that go in circles. I make up a pail of warm water with a bit of spic and span disolved in it and pour it on the floor in sections. I go over it with the electric floor machine and the brushes clean out the pebbles. I then get up the dirt and water with my sponge mop.

toverly 03-29-2015 12:39 PM

I have found only a toothbrush will get out the grime in the cracks. But I love the Armstrong floor cleaner. It's blue the color of windex but seems to work. I agree Swiffer cleaner leaves a film.

cindi 03-30-2015 02:37 AM

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That's what I use. Works beautifully.

meanmom 03-30-2015 04:30 AM

My kitchen floor is gross. Dirt in the crevices like you said. It is on my list of things to clean this week. I am on Spring break this week. Thanks for the ideas. I was tring to decide the best plan of attack for the dirt. I have a big floor so a magic eraser isn't an option.

Sallyflymi 03-30-2015 04:47 AM

In my old place I used my steam Shark. Clean it the best.

kydeb 03-30-2015 05:11 AM

I love the Armstrong floor cleaner too!! It cleans great. I have used it with a brush to get grime out. I put it in small areas full strength and then brush. The floor sparkles!

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7145975)
I have found only a toothbrush will get out the grime in the cracks. But I love the Armstrong floor cleaner. It's blue the color of windex but seems to work. I agree Swiffer cleaner leaves a film.