Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips for cleaning sheet vinyl floors?

Tips for cleaning sheet vinyl floors?

We had a wood plank -look floor installed in the kitchen almost 3 years. I love it! I was doing a thorough cleaning yesterday and i pulled my table away from the wall. The vinyl, in its original condition, was an eye-opener to how dirt gets lodged in the floor where it gets foot trafic. Yikes!

Goggling for cleaning ideas, some said to use water with vinegar. Did not help. Another said to use Scubbing Bubbles to loosen the dirt. Only after I read the ingredients will I consider this. I doubt that I will use my Swiffer in the future once I clean up this floor. I think it just "fills" the small crevices as I push it around the floor.

Anyone have success with deep cleaning a vinyl floor!?

Thanks!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

We installed the 'allure' brand wood-look plank flooring in our dining room a coupe of years ago. There is a brand specific cleaner for that flooring at Home Depot. Perhaps that would help?

I use the brand specific cleaner but the issue is that it "cleans" and "waxes" at the same time....locking in the crevice dirt. The use of my Swiffer apparently adds to the issue.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

I had old flooring vinyl from 1970 in my old mobile home and never could get the dirt out of the crevices.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    I have one of those old fashioned electric floor cleaners with 2 round brushes that go in circles. I make up a pail of warm water with a bit of spic and span disolved in it and pour it on the floor in sections. I go over it with the electric floor machine and the brushes clean out the pebbles. I then get up the dirt and water with my sponge mop.

I have found only a toothbrush will get out the grime in the cracks. But I love the Armstrong floor cleaner. It's blue the color of windex but seems to work. I agree Swiffer cleaner leaves a film.

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That's what I use. Works beautifully.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Blog Entries
    My kitchen floor is gross. Dirt in the crevices like you said. It is on my list of things to clean this week. I am on Spring break this week. Thanks for the ideas. I was tring to decide the best plan of attack for the dirt. I have a big floor so a magic eraser isn't an option.

Blog Entries
    In my old place I used my steam Shark. Clean it the best.

I love the Armstrong floor cleaner too!! It cleans great. I have used it with a brush to get grime out. I put it in small areas full strength and then brush. The floor sparkles!

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I have found only a toothbrush will get out the grime in the cracks. But I love the Armstrong floor cleaner. It's blue the color of windex but seems to work. I agree Swiffer cleaner leaves a film.
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Sometime putting a little water down in sections, let it set for a while then use a scrub brush. Almost like letting water soak in the bottom of a pot to remove stuck on particles

I have a Manington Cilarum kitchen floor, tried every thing, and then called the store that installed it. I have brown spots comming thru. This house is well over 100 yrs old, but there is no reason spots should come thru the flooring. They came out to look at it and said to use ZIP STRIP. Put it on for 10 Min. and then wipe off and wash with soap water!!! NEVER!!! I like this floor & and don`t want a new one at my age. I have tried most of your suggestions, then steamed it with just water, still dirty. Then hubby had friends over for a card game... they were old too, so he bought some kind of ice melter. These nice old guys, let their shoes drip off under my table, and now I have a new problem. No matter what I use, the floor looks like we walk with greasy shoes on. I think I have tried every thing!!!!!

I have ceramic tile in my living room and bathroom. I read (on Pinterest maybe) to use Resolve carpet cleaner on the grout. Oh my gosh!! It worked wonders.....couldn't believe how easy and how clean it got the grout. And it didn't do any harm. Maybe you could try some on a small spot and see if it works. I realize you're not cleaning grout....but it may be worth a try.

I had a sheet vinyl kitchen for and white sheet vinyl flooring in the 60s & 70s. I washed often with dawn dish soap. If it got any dirt in the cracks I just let the solution sit for a while then mopped it up. Never a problem. We had three young kids at home. I did wash it on my hands and knees at least once a week. Being that close to the floor I could get and keep it clean very easily.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use Spic and Span when I can get it and very hot water. I squeeze the mop lightly on the heavier areas first then go back over. It's an old floor and as long as it's clean that's all that matters. With a history of 7 dogs and 3 adults walking on it every day, it just isn't as pretty as it used to be. Are we going to replace it. not in my lifetime. We put the new floor down in this home at old landlords request. Not doing it again.

I have an Armstrong vinyl floor. They recommend Once'n'Done. Smells strong of ammonia but it works! Occasionally I need to use a brush in the grooves but usually the sponge mop is all that I use.

I had an old vinyl floor many years ago. I know this is harsh, but I used ammonia, and I couldn't believe how clean it came out. I had to wax the floor afterwards, but it was worth it to me.

Orange oil about one half cup to your mop water cuts muck on floors and leaves mine sparkling clean. Also smells so good.

I have Mohawk vinyl plank floors, and I used 409 and it did a good job of cleaning.I sprayed it on the floor a section at a time and moped,then rinsed entire floor after it was cleaned.I have recently found a product called Awesome in the dollar store and it cleans better than the 409.It is clear and comes in a half gallon bottle and I put it in a spray bottle.They have it with bleach also but I would be afraid to use that.It also comes in a yellow concentrate that is very strong and I would be very careful with that!Test it in a corner before using any of them.I love the clear Awesome and have used it for 6 months with no problem.One swipe and the dirt is gone.

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i dont know if we are talking the same thing. but if its the laminated flooring i.e.congoleum vinyl flooring (many other brand names). there is a wax stripper liquid you wash the floor with. after it is dried then you put down 2 - 3 coats of liquid wax on the vinyl flooring. your floor will look brand new again. we do this 1x a year.

The Awesome cleaner is what we use for just about everything. It does a great job.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    The Awesome cleaner is what we use for just about everything. It does a great job.
    I Bought it. Did work...somewhat. I need to scrub the crevices. I think the dirt build up is going to be the issue.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

I hate mine, I can't tell you how to get it clean because I have given up. I spot clean and my husband will damp mop occasionally. One thing I have figured out is that the Shark Steam cleaner gets it clean... but don't use it over the seams because it really loosens them. This is not a problem with the 1950's linoleum - it's as tight as it was from the start... but I will never put sheet vinyl in anything ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    We had a wood plank -look floor installed in the kitchen almost 3 years. I love it! I was doing a thorough cleaning yesterday and i pulled my table away from the wall. The vinyl, in its original condition, was an eye-opener to how dirt gets lodged in the floor where it gets foot trafic. Yikes!

Goggling for cleaning ideas, some said to use water with vinegar. Did not help. Another said to use Scubbing Bubbles to loosen the dirt. Only after I read the ingredients will I consider this. I doubt that I will use my Swiffer in the future once I clean up this floor. I think it just "fills" the small crevices as I push it around the floor.

Anyone have success with deep cleaning a vinyl floor!?

Thanks!
    Sandy
    I have used a product called Simple Green for years. It seems to work on about everything, dirt or greasy. I use it in my kitchen on the stove and refrigerator top that seem to get greasy. I even used it in my bath tub on the 80+ year old tub and on the tiles. I had to let it set for awhile but it got them all so clean. I was amazed about the tub and tile. I get it at the grocery or at Home Depot type stores. It is cheaper by the gallon, but not any more expensive in smaller quantities than any other product.

in reading all the ideas - Spic & Span is a great product, as is Dawn dishwashing (I can't use it as it dries my hands), I am wondering if Oxy Clean would work: it sure worked when my embroidery thread bled on my "Walking in a Winter Wonderland".
    I use Miracle II products the soap, moisturizing soap, the neutralizer, the hand moisturizer and the laundry ball. wonderful stuff. wouldn't be without it. great for your health. Use it as a shampoo, you can drink the neutralizer, brush your teeth with it. Look Up Miracle II soap on line. Global Light Networks also handles it. I can't say enough good about it. My daughter recently got me using essential oils. Use the ones from Young Living. their 'Thieves" is a great one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast