Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Laminate floors

Hi all, I figured one of you very smart people could help me. WE put in laminate floors in my living rm/dining room and down the hall. I absolutely love them. So much less dust. But I have yet to figure out how to clean then without water spots, or a film. I've tried everything, I think. If the sun isn't shining across them, they look wonderful, but we have a large patio door which lets in a lot of light, and I see every speckle, water mark, wheelchair marks. Does anyone have any good ideas. I can't get down on my floors to hand wash. But I have Swifter everything and a steam cleaner that I can use while in my chair. I'm just tired of having to bust by tussie and still have them look dirty to me.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Well as bad (good for me) as this sounds; the lady who cleans my house insists upon getting on her knees (she is young)washing and drying my floor and it looks wonderful even next to the sliding glass doors. We have 5 cats and 2 dogs that have a doggie/kitty door so they come and go at their leisure too. Maybe using one of those pads and drying it is the key???

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    Well as bad (good for me) as this sounds; the lady who cleans my house insists upon getting on her knees (she is young)washing and drying my floor and it looks wonderful even next to the sliding glass doors. We have 5 cats and 2 dogs that have a doggie/kitty door so they come and go at their leisure too. Maybe using one of those pads and drying it is the key???
    Do you know what she uses to clean it before drying. I'm not sure I'm using the right stuff. If necessary, I'll just have to do it when my huband is home and one of us wash and one dry. Although I like doing it myself. Gonna get a cleaning lady this summer when my car is finally paid off. So I want to be able to tell her how I want it done.

Pledge makes a cleaner just for hard wood. It can only be bought at home improvement stores. I use to clean houses and thats all our costumers would allow us to put on there fancy floors. They would shine with little effort. One of the new gals accidentally put lemon pinesol on one of the floors. We all freaked seeing it cloud up. We immediately got down on our hands and knees and started cleaning the floor again. Luckily it wasnt permanant damage, the Pledge would floor cleaner fixed the floor. It comes in concentrate. Lasts forever, but pricey.

We put laminate in our kitchen and I was with vinegar and water let dry and then go over them with a microfibre mop and Bona spray. Never have water streaks or spots and helps to protect the floors.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    We put laminate in our kitchen and I was with vinegar and water let dry and then go over them with a microfibre mop and Bona spray. Never have water streaks or spots and helps to protect the floors.
    What is Bona spray? I've never heard of it.

i use white vinegar and water also

Blog Entries
    I clean at our church. The floor installers said use only white vinager and water. No cleaners of any kinds. They sparkle.

Maybe you could check with where you bought the laminate. They should be able to suggest something or at least they could check for you with the manufacturer. Just an idea?!

White vinegar and water here too. I have hard wood and travertine floors. I also use this to clean windows, mirrors, bathroom fixtures, etc. be sure to use an old tshirt with it. You just can't beat the way things look after using it plus you don't get all the harmful chemicals and it is economical.

I forget the manufacturer of mine, but it was included in the instructions printed on the box. Mine are supposed to have "Once and Done" available at Lowe's. I have used vinegar and also cleaner for Swiffer mops. I am not completely satisfied with the look of mine no matter which cleaner I use. We have a yellow lab and every paw print shows on the laminate.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Vinegar and water in a swiffer for me too....

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    Do you know what she uses to clean it before drying. I'm not sure I'm using the right stuff. If necessary, I'll just have to do it when my huband is home and one of us wash and one dry. Although I like doing it myself. Gonna get a cleaning lady this summer when my car is finally paid off. So I want to be able to tell her how I want it done.
    I'll check. She comes Wednesdays.

Banned
    For those of you who are interested in buying laminate...here's a tip for you. TAKE A PIECE home with you, step all over it. let the dog walk on it, and put it in a sunny spot so you can see just how terrible it will look everyday. That's how I chose mine...and I have no problems keeping it clean...even with the dog and the grandbaby.
    Don't pick shiny laminate...the only place it looks good is on the shelf in the store...stay away from very dark, and very light.
    My mom is a housecleaner by trade. She gave me all the tips before I went looking for mine:)
    And a microfibre cloth is the best thing to clean them.

THis floor hasn't been washed since before Christmas
    Name:  Attachment-152850.jpe
Views: 34
Size:  47.6 KB

Haha I'll even show you my dirt...LOL! There's actually alot of it in this spot...but the graininess of the floor hides most of it
    Name:  Attachment-152851.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  47.2 KB

Blog Entries
    The Shark Steamer will get the floor clean and the steam dries lickety-split. No chemicals - just clean.

I have new laminate also and I have been using a very very damp mop and then using my swiffer with alittle bit of furniture polish to make sure it's dry good and it eleminates the spots and foot prints. Just use a dab, if you "polish" your floor then every footprint etc, will show up.

LOL I have tried most of these suggestions. I have medium oak color floors, I've used actually, vinegar/water/alcohol mix, equal parts (I use this mix on my windows and mirrors, no streaks), my Shark Steamer which is what I really thought would work. It cleans them, just streaky. Pledge wood floor cleaner. The only thing that I haven't tried is to dry them right after they are cleaned, so I guess I'll have to try that. Right now, with the sun not shining on them, they look gorgeous since I cleaned them this morning. I'll just have to keep trying.

My daughter loves her Shark. My house cleaners use a mop with just water. They might dry it after though. I never see any streaks after they leave. I stay out of the way, so I really don't see what they are doing specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    LOL I have tried most of these suggestions. I have medium oak color floors, I've used actually, vinegar/water/alcohol mix, equal parts (I use this mix on my windows and mirrors, no streaks), my Shark Steamer which is what I really thought would work. It cleans them, just streaky. Pledge wood floor cleaner. The only thing that I haven't tried is to dry them right after they are cleaned, so I guess I'll have to try that. Right now, with the sun not shining on them, they look gorgeous since I cleaned them this morning. I'll just have to keep trying.
    Ok, ok, ok, I have this senior moment every time I do windows. Vinegar/water/alcohol mix actually does work very well. But I keep using Alcohol/water/amonia Not Vinegar. And that makes a huge difference. They both stink, so I just went and got my window cleaner bottle and yep, it had amonia. So I dumped it out and made a fresh batch. Tomorrow I'll try the vinegar mix and I bet it'll work. But I am going to get a microfirber cloth to dry them with and see if that works. The alcohol in this mixture is to help it dry fast. I have an artificial leg, and I use alcohol on the sleeve to put it in the leg because it dries FAST. I am my own worst critic with my cleaning, and if I am going to bust my butt, I want perfection. Which is why I don't clean often LOL. So thanks for all your responses. And now I need to put VINEGAR on my grocery list. I just used the last of it.

Blog Entries
    I use Zep laminate floor cleaner (got it at Home Depot) and a microfiber mop. It is the best thing I have found...the floor looks great, no paw prints or water spots!

Kas
    The thing with laminates is to not saturate them with anything. The moisture will get into the cracks and swell the particle board to which the woodgrain is laminated. We were told to use a damp, not wet cloth and to swiffer regularly.

When we had laminate flooring put in the living room and hallway several years ago, the installer told me not to waste money on floor cleaners. He said that even the cleaners meant for laminate floors will streak. He told me just to use water. So I use my Swiffer with just water, and haven't had a problem with streaks.

I just got the shark steamer and used it thru my whole house on my laminate and tile floors----LOVE IT.

Blog Entries
    We were told to use Windex and a swifter to clean our lamanent floors. No water.

Blog Entries
    Be very careful not to leave much liquid on them!!I use vinegar water in a spray bottle and a microfiber pad on a mop I bought off QVC a long time ago..No water spots or streaks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast