Cleaning Laminate floors

Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Kas

The thing with laminates is to not saturate them with anything. The moisture will get into the cracks and swell the particle board to which the woodgrain is laminated. We were told to use a damp, not wet cloth and to swiffer regularly.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 PM

When we had laminate flooring put in the living room and hallway several years ago, the installer told me not to waste money on floor cleaners. He said that even the cleaners meant for laminate floors will streak. He told me just to use water. So I use my Swiffer with just water, and haven't had a problem with streaks.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 AM

I just got the shark steamer and used it thru my whole house on my laminate and tile floors----LOVE IT.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 AM

We were told to use Windex and a swifter to clean our lamanent floors. No water.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Be very careful not to leave much liquid on them!!I use vinegar water in a spray bottle and a microfiber pad on a mop I bought off QVC a long time ago..No water spots or streaks.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 AM

We also have the pre-engineered wood floors. Our house is nearly 4 years old (next month). Our cleaning lady has used a damp mop all this time and it is beginning to cause a problem. Seams that were invisible when new are obvious now. The water is causing a problem. She has always insisted this was the proper way to clean them; however, the installer said no water. When she comes this Friday, she will be forbidden to use water ever again. I can see some very slight lifting. I have a swifter with wood cleaner and I always make sure there is no heavy concentration of damp on the floors when I clean between her visits. I would be very careful of vinegar/water solution based on my 4 year old floors. We have no dogs, three cats and only my husband and I live in the house. The wood floors are in the foyer, living room, dining room, hall to half bath, family room, breakfast area and butler pantry.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
When we had laminate flooring put in the living room and hallway several years ago, the installer told me not to waste money on floor cleaners. He said that even the cleaners meant for laminate floors will streak. He told me just to use water. So I use my Swiffer with just water, and haven't had a problem with streaks.
I do use the water, but in the form of a damp mop. I know that using a lot of water will warp or separate the seams.

I'd never heard about using Windex, but when you think about it, it would likely prevent any streaking. I'm going to try that. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 AM

If you go to any flooring store, they carry a hard wood or laminate cleaner. It comes in a kit with two heads for the "Mop" one is a fuzzy microfibre type ( works way better and a lot cheaper than a swiffer) (washable)...the other head is the one for washing the floor.(also washable) You spray the cleaner on the pad, not on the floor. It works so well, I LOVE it. Never leaves a residue.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by Cyn
Well as bad (good for me) as this sounds; the lady who cleans my house insists upon getting on her knees (she is young)washing and drying my floor and it looks wonderful even next to the sliding glass doors. We have 5 cats and 2 dogs that have a doggie/kitty door so they come and go at their leisure too. Maybe using one of those pads and drying it is the key???
Do you know what she uses to clean it before drying. I'm not sure I'm using the right stuff. If necessary, I'll just have to do it when my huband is home and one of us wash and one dry. Although I like doing it myself. Gonna get a cleaning lady this summer when my car is finally paid off. So I want to be able to tell her how I want it done.
i use vinegar and water and they shine pretty good
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by quiltstodo
We put laminate in our kitchen and I was with vinegar and water let dry and then go over them with a microfibre mop and Bona spray. Never have water streaks or spots and helps to protect the floors.
What is Bona spray? I've never heard of it.
You can buy Bona at a big box builder store, like Lowes, and I like it on my very dark laminate. it comes in a spray bottle and you don't use very much of it to get the shine without the film. :thumbup: