Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Titles with Some Detailed Information in them (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/titles-some-detailed-information-them-t249470.html)

cindi 07-04-2014 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 6785536)
Okay - time for my "2 cents".....I am not a cat lover. I do not want to see photos of cats on sewing machines or curled up in quilts. I wish, when there is a photo of your cat or dog or grandchild or child you would mention that in the title. Also how many times have you opened a thread thinking it's information you are interested it only to find it's a link. I don't open links. Don't want to risk getting a virus on my computer. So if the administrator is reading this - please start a category for animal photos and please move all links to the links category. Thanks.

And a separate category for games. It's so frustrating going to the General Chit Chat section and having the first page filled with nothing but games.

boysmomoflabs 07-04-2014 06:46 AM

I'm not sure if all computers are set up this way, but if I just hover my mouse over the thread title....I can read the first two lines of the post. Saves me from opening it up, or I can see a link in there. Easily skipped over with a glance.

nanOmint 07-04-2014 07:23 AM

Cats and Dogs

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 6785536)
Okay - time for my "2 cents".....I am not a cat lover. I do not want to see photos of cats on sewing machines or curled up in quilts. I wish, when there is a photo of your cat or dog or grandchild or child you would mention that in the title. ......... So if the administrator is reading this - please start a category for animal photos and please move all links to the links category. Thanks.

I agree!!!

pal 07-04-2014 09:28 AM

I agree too. My computer is so old and slow that it takes forever to get the post. Then to find out that it's not what I thought it was about -- too, too frustrating.

Pollytink 07-04-2014 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs (Post 6785627)
I'm not sure if all computers are set up this way, but if I just hover my mouse over the thread title....I can read the first two lines of the post. Saves me from opening it up, or I can see a link in there. Easily skipped over with a glance.

This works for me on the search result listed posts but not when I go into the Archives and the different categories. I get the daily digest, open it and go to the bottom and click on Archives. Page comes up with the different forums on it and I go to each one I want to read. Would the 2-line pop-up work if I got into the categories/posts in a different way?
Is it the way the individual computer is set up or something else. I'd like to be able to see this on all the current posts.

Neesie 07-04-2014 11:46 AM

I agree with the need for more descriptive titles. Hovering over the title, for the first line, doesn't always help.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the need for a 'warning' of quilt photos, involving animals or children. Was this meant to be serious?

Pollytink 07-04-2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs (Post 6785627)

Ok, figured it out. If I go to the main/home pg link it shows all the forums and when you click on one, e.g. General chit chat, you can hover and see the 2-lines thing. But looking at the posts that way is also where you see all the game posts and the posts are in order by the last message posted. It does tell when the post was started but the way I've been doing it, the posts are listed by most recent. Wish there was a way to sort posts in the Main/forum version by most recent posted. I do like that 2-line preview!

Sandygirl 07-04-2014 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6784524)
I could not agree more, and will even admit to simply skipping over those threads because of vague titles.

Me too. I probably miss some great conversations.
sandy

Geri B 07-05-2014 05:31 AM

Wow....the only thing on this thread I agree with is a separate section for "word/letter games".........

I read every post that is Today...and sometimes if I see new comments on Yesterday I will check those out.......oops, one more exception.......Vintage machines......not my forte.......

Links. Great information most of the time, and if you have virus protection on your computer should not be a problem....

Got to go back now and read more

Sandygirl 07-05-2014 05:40 AM

If I can't get a separate section for all of the "sewing machine" threads, i seriously doubt you will get a "cat lover" section, IMHO. If animals get preference over sewing machine inquiries, I won't be happy. Just sayin'. ;)

Quote from Patrice-moderator.
"there are no plans to create any additional sections.
we simply cannot honor every request to further add, subtract, multiply, divide and sub-divide the sections we have now.

however, i do keep track of requests.
should the time come for a major overhaul of our structure and organization, they will all be considered - even if not all of them can be fulfilled."

sandy