Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Titles with Some Detailed Information in them

Power Poster

Titles with Some Detailed Information in them

I know - I know - this has been brought up many times before!

I was looking for an ISO post - and haven't found it again.

If the original poster had made the original title more specific with something like "Looking for a green floral print fabric" instead of "Help!" - I could have found the post again - because sometimes I think I might have whatever it is - but I need to check it out again to see if it is actually a match.

My wish for more info in a title is purely selfish - sometimes I want/need to find something again - and "Guess What?" doesn't do much for helping with a search.

Examples of titles I find helpful:

What kind of starch/sizing do you prefer?
    My blue and brown churn dash quilt
    My Rowenta iron caught on fire
    Looking for pink and white check fabric

Examples of titles I find not-so-helpful:

Help?
    I have a dumb question
    My last finish
    I had a bad day
    Do you have?
    Guess what!?

Blog Entries
    I could not agree more, and will even admit to simply skipping over those threads because of vague titles.

Blog Entries
    All you have to do is comment on the post-then you can click on. "Quick links" at the top of the page, click on "subscribed threads" and a list of everything you have commented on/are following will appear.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree completely
    Lori

Power Poster
    I don't always comment on a post that I might want to get back to later.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 07-03-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Specific titles are something I really appreciate. I will admit that I won't open a post if the title is simply "help"
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    I prefer titles that are specific, too. Skipping over non specific titles is very easy. Interesting, specific titles makes me open them up and read...and probably reply with my opinion or suggestion.

Nan - Indiana
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I, too, do not open threads with titles like "Help" or "Looking for...." or "Have you used....", etc. If it's not specific, it doesn't get opened. There would be so many more answers for people if they'd stop being so vague in their requests.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

I hope it works this time, if only we could make it a rule and delete some maybe the point would be made.........

Okay - time for my "2 cents".....I am not a cat lover. I do not want to see photos of cats on sewing machines or curled up in quilts. I wish, when there is a photo of your cat or dog or grandchild or child you would mention that in the title. Also how many times have you opened a thread thinking it's information you are interested it only to find it's a link. I don't open links. Don't want to risk getting a virus on my computer. So if the administrator is reading this - please start a category for animal photos and please move all links to the links category. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Okay - time for my "2 cents".....I am not a cat lover. I do not want to see photos of cats on sewing machines or curled up in quilts. I wish, when there is a photo of your cat or dog or grandchild or child you would mention that in the title. Also how many times have you opened a thread thinking it's information you are interested it only to find it's a link. I don't open links. Don't want to risk getting a virus on my computer. So if the administrator is reading this - please start a category for animal photos and please move all links to the links category. Thanks.
    And a separate category for games. It's so frustrating going to the General Chit Chat section and having the first page filled with nothing but games.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

I'm not sure if all computers are set up this way, but if I just hover my mouse over the thread title....I can read the first two lines of the post. Saves me from opening it up, or I can see a link in there. Easily skipped over with a glance.

Blog Entries

Cats and Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Okay - time for my "2 cents".....I am not a cat lover. I do not want to see photos of cats on sewing machines or curled up in quilts. I wish, when there is a photo of your cat or dog or grandchild or child you would mention that in the title. ......... So if the administrator is reading this - please start a category for animal photos and please move all links to the links category. Thanks.
    I agree!!!
    Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God!

pal
    I agree too. My computer is so old and slow that it takes forever to get the post. Then to find out that it's not what I thought it was about -- too, too frustrating.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Quote Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs View Post
    I'm not sure if all computers are set up this way, but if I just hover my mouse over the thread title....I can read the first two lines of the post. Saves me from opening it up, or I can see a link in there. Easily skipped over with a glance.
    This works for me on the search result listed posts but not when I go into the Archives and the different categories. I get the daily digest, open it and go to the bottom and click on Archives. Page comes up with the different forums on it and I go to each one I want to read. Would the 2-line pop-up work if I got into the categories/posts in a different way?
    Is it the way the individual computer is set up or something else. I'd like to be able to see this on all the current posts.

I agree with the need for more descriptive titles. Hovering over the title, for the first line, doesn't always help.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the need for a 'warning' of quilt photos, involving animals or children. Was this meant to be serious?
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs View Post
    Ok, figured it out. If I go to the main/home pg link it shows all the forums and when you click on one, e.g. General chit chat, you can hover and see the 2-lines thing. But looking at the posts that way is also where you see all the game posts and the posts are in order by the last message posted. It does tell when the post was started but the way I've been doing it, the posts are listed by most recent. Wish there was a way to sort posts in the Main/forum version by most recent posted. I do like that 2-line preview!

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I could not agree more, and will even admit to simply skipping over those threads because of vague titles.
    Me too. I probably miss some great conversations.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Wow....the only thing on this thread I agree with is a separate section for "word/letter games".........

I read every post that is Today...and sometimes if I see new comments on Yesterday I will check those out.......oops, one more exception.......Vintage machines......not my forte.......

Links. Great information most of the time, and if you have virus protection on your computer should not be a problem....

Got to go back now and read more

If I can't get a separate section for all of the "sewing machine" threads, i seriously doubt you will get a "cat lover" section, IMHO. If animals get preference over sewing machine inquiries, I won't be happy. Just sayin'.

Quote from Patrice-moderator.
    "there are no plans to create any additional sections.
    we simply cannot honor every request to further add, subtract, multiply, divide and sub-divide the sections we have now.

however, i do keep track of requests.
    should the time come for a major overhaul of our structure and organization, they will all be considered - even if not all of them can be fulfilled."

sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 07-05-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

[QUOTE

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the need for a 'warning' of quilt photos, involving animals or children. Was this meant to be serious?[/QUOTE]

.. no matter…but I LOVE your AVATAR! That sweet little one there is so cute!!!

Also, I completely agree about the vague titles. AND I'LL ADD another peeve….
    those who respond with very little content, or, something like,"Wish I could help (with your question) but I've never had that problem." ….why post, why should others be viewing your "nothing." This comment is not meant to be malicious, just a suggestion.
    Last edited by SmickChick; 07-05-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
    [QUOTE

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the need for a 'warning' of quilt photos, involving animals or children. Was this meant to be serious?
    .. no matter…but I LOVE your AVATAR! That sweet little one there is so cute!!!

~~~~Awww, thanks! That's Phoebe, when she was still a puppy. She's now 12 years old. :-)~~~~

Also, I completely agree about the vague titles. AND I'LL ADD another peeve….
    those who respond with very little content, or, something like,"Wish I could help (with your question) but I've never had that problem." ….why post, why should others be viewing your "nothing." This comment is not meant to be malicious, just a suggestion.[/QUOTE]

That puzzles me, as well. At least offer some words of encouragement or a compliment, if you can't help but still feel the need to respond.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

i read all of the help, need to find, etc. because I guess I just like to feel helpful? I never really thought about people's responses to vague titles. I will make the attempt to be more clear on my titles since it does seem to matter to some folks. I guess my daughter is right, I am a people pleaser...lol.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Power Poster
    I read most of the posts in the sections that I go to - regardless of the title. There are some sections that I skip.

For me, the main reason for wanting more detail - is if I want to find the post again, it improves the chances. I usually don't notice or remember the name of the original poster.

"Latest finish" for the title and "this is my latest quilt" with ONLY a picture (which is helpful - because someone may remember the quilt - with or without a cat, dog, or baby) doesn't narrow it down very much for a search.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    All you have to do is comment on the post-then you can click on. "Quick links" at the top of the page, click on "subscribed threads" and a list of everything you have commented on/are following will appear.
    wow, this is good to know, since I agree, vague titles make it more difficult.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast