Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Torn American flag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/torn-american-flag-t274467.html)

ShirlinAZ 01-14-2016 07:24 AM

I also feel that the flag should be treated with respect and should be burned when tattered and torn. But the fact is that there are no laws concerning the flag. There is only a list of recommendations for flag etiquette. How many of you wear a flag or use fabric with flags on it? That also violates flag etiquette. Do what you feel is not disrespectful.

ladydukes 01-14-2016 09:04 AM

The American Legion collects torn flags, and once a year they hold a ceremony to properly dispose of those flags.

ManiacQuilter2 01-14-2016 11:16 AM

Yes, I would contact your local Boy Scout troop. They have the proper ceremony for a torn flag.

maryfrang 01-14-2016 01:08 PM

What ever you do, DO NOT put it in the trash. Take it to groups that were mention before. If you do not have one near you save it and put a notice at the supermarket and I bet you someone would have contact with a group that will dispose of the Flag for us.

labtechkty 01-14-2016 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 7433057)
Or contact a VFW. Or American Legion.
sandy

Yep, the VFW is where we take ours...

marge954 01-14-2016 01:47 PM

The library branch I recently retired from had three worn flags in the storage room. We called the American Legion and left several messages but no one ever called us back. A couple of months later a young one came in dressed in his Boy Scout uniform. I asked if his troop retired old flags and explained we had three that needed retiring. His face lit up and he broke into a huge grin! He proudly headed out the door with mom and the flags. A couple of weeks later we got a wonderful note from the troop leader thanking us for allowing them to perform a this service for the library. You can go online and locate a troop near you.

pinkflowers 01-14-2016 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 7433382)
There is nothing that burns my butt more than seeing a torn American flag flying. I've contacted auto dealers before that kept flying a torn flag, and asked that they replace their flags as a sign of respect....each place replaced the flag in question. Sorry, this is just me.

I wholeheartedly agree. We are a military family that includes a disabled veteran (DH) and an active duty service member serving overseas (DD). How it saddens me that my family has sacrificed so much for our country and people disrespect our flag.
I am grateful to those here that DO take care of our flag. Thank you.

Onebyone 01-15-2016 05:49 AM

The flag should NEVER touch the ground & should be BURNED.

There are several ways to respectfully dispose of the flag. There is no only right way. And yes the flag can touch the ground but cannot be thrown on the ground or carelessly handled to drag on the ground.

Debbie C 01-15-2016 06:40 AM

I was lucky enough to be gifted a weathered flag that used to fly over a local hospital. It is HUGE! And the heavy winds played havoc on the French seams. I was able to repair it and now hang it from the gutters of our home for the Fourth of July! My neighbors love it!

tessagin 01-15-2016 06:45 AM

This is what we do. We have retired 2 by taking them to the VFW.

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7433051)
Contact a local Boy Scout troop. Our troop has Flag Retirement Ceremonies. Some Veterans Associations also collect them for proper disposal.