Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   total knee replacement surgery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/total-knee-replacement-surgery-t93589.html)

mbrwfy 01-24-2011 06:11 PM

I'm scheduled to have a total knee replacment done at the end of March. Have any of you guys and gals had this done? I'm only 48, but my doc tells me I have the knee of a 83 year old. I'm a little nervous about the pain during recovery. :cry:

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-24-2011 06:19 PM

I've never done it, but one of my Aunts had both of hers done at once when she was 55. She checked herself into a rehab place for 2 weeks after surgery since she would've been alone at home. They worked with her so she could do what she needed to get buy at home. After she went home, therapy continued. Now, 5 years later, she says it was the best decision she ever made. She can do just about anything she wants and is pain free for the first time in ages.

Good luck.

amma 01-24-2011 06:19 PM

BFF's Mom had this done, she did fine as long as she followed her Doc's orders. When she didn't it would start bothering her :D:D:D

craftybear 01-24-2011 06:22 PM

Hi,

My mother had double knee replacement 5 years ago and she got along great. (yes, both knees done at the same time) Be sure to do the physical therapy afterwards that is what made her heal fast and get back on her feet. She was 72 years old at the time. You can do it.

Hugs!

Craftybear

Originally Posted by mbrwfy
I'm scheduled to have a total knee replacment done at the end of March. Have any of you guys and gals had this done? I'm only 48, but my doc tells me I have the knee of a 83 year old. I'm a little nervous about the pain during recovery. :cry:

twospoiledhuskies 01-24-2011 06:23 PM

I have not, but my co-worker had both her knees done at once.

She was really really heavy. It was amazing, she was back to work in a couple of weeks. She did so well. I think she was completely recovered in a month. She said she was so glad she had the surgery.

I hope you have the same experience. Good luck!!!!!! :thumbup:

seahug 01-24-2011 06:25 PM

Helloo and hope your new knee does as good as mine did. From the sounds of yours it must be very painfull as was mine before I had mine replaced.I can say it was the best thing I have ever done for me. I am pain free now and feel great. Of course follow your docs orders and remember it will be just fine. I will keep you in my prayers.
Judy

toomanycats 01-24-2011 06:29 PM

Do Not listen to the horror stories. You will have some pain but the end result is well worth it. I had total knee replacement in July 05. Oct. 31 that year I got on my horse and we trailed the first bunch of cattle to winter pasture. Had to take it slow but made it. Just do the therapy and walk walk walk. Your are on pain meds when you come home but I cannot tolerate most so did not take them. Everytime I hurt I exercised and seemed to help but lost alot of sleep! I have osteoarthritis in back (from a colt going over backwards on me and ruptering two discs and fracturing my pelvis) but as I said....movement. I do alot of yoga and meditaion. You should have exercises to do before surgery to stregenth the muscles around it. The stronger they are the easier the recovery. Take a deep breath and will be over before you know it. Just takes time. Best thing I ever did. I was 52 when I had it done.

tlcquiltnut 01-24-2011 06:34 PM

I haven't had knee replacement but had total reconstruction on my knee.(horse bucked me off) It is vital you do the therapy and do the excersises every day. Get as strong as you can before as mentioned. God bless you in your surgery.

bstock 01-24-2011 06:44 PM

My Mom has had 1 knee replaced and will have her other knee replaced in a few months. She did great the first time. After her surgery she said she was hurting but it felt better then before the surgery.

wolfkitty 01-24-2011 07:01 PM

Several people I know have had it done, and all have followed through with the therapy and done well. That is the key. Best of luck! You may want to have some hand projects ready to work on while you are laid up.