Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: total knee replacement surgery

I'm scheduled to have a total knee replacment done at the end of March. Have any of you guys and gals had this done? I'm only 48, but my doc tells me I have the knee of a 83 year old. I'm a little nervous about the pain during recovery. :cry:

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've never done it, but one of my Aunts had both of hers done at once when she was 55. She checked herself into a rehab place for 2 weeks after surgery since she would've been alone at home. They worked with her so she could do what she needed to get buy at home. After she went home, therapy continued. Now, 5 years later, she says it was the best decision she ever made. She can do just about anything she wants and is pain free for the first time in ages.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    BFF's Mom had this done, she did fine as long as she followed her Doc's orders. When she didn't it would start bothering her :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Hi,

My mother had double knee replacement 5 years ago and she got along great. (yes, both knees done at the same time) Be sure to do the physical therapy afterwards that is what made her heal fast and get back on her feet. She was 72 years old at the time. You can do it.

Hugs!

Craftybear

Quote Originally Posted by mbrwfy
    I'm scheduled to have a total knee replacment done at the end of March. Have any of you guys and gals had this done? I'm only 48, but my doc tells me I have the knee of a 83 year old. I'm a little nervous about the pain during recovery. :cry:

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    I have not, but my co-worker had both her knees done at once.

She was really really heavy. It was amazing, she was back to work in a couple of weeks. She did so well. I think she was completely recovered in a month. She said she was so glad she had the surgery.

I hope you have the same experience. Good luck!!!!!! :thumbup:

Helloo and hope your new knee does as good as mine did. From the sounds of yours it must be very painfull as was mine before I had mine replaced.I can say it was the best thing I have ever done for me. I am pain free now and feel great. Of course follow your docs orders and remember it will be just fine. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Judy

Do Not listen to the horror stories. You will have some pain but the end result is well worth it. I had total knee replacement in July 05. Oct. 31 that year I got on my horse and we trailed the first bunch of cattle to winter pasture. Had to take it slow but made it. Just do the therapy and walk walk walk. Your are on pain meds when you come home but I cannot tolerate most so did not take them. Everytime I hurt I exercised and seemed to help but lost alot of sleep! I have osteoarthritis in back (from a colt going over backwards on me and ruptering two discs and fracturing my pelvis) but as I said....movement. I do alot of yoga and meditaion. You should have exercises to do before surgery to stregenth the muscles around it. The stronger they are the easier the recovery. Take a deep breath and will be over before you know it. Just takes time. Best thing I ever did. I was 52 when I had it done.

I haven't had knee replacement but had total reconstruction on my knee.(horse bucked me off) It is vital you do the therapy and do the excersises every day. Get as strong as you can before as mentioned. God bless you in your surgery.

My Mom has had 1 knee replaced and will have her other knee replaced in a few months. She did great the first time. After her surgery she said she was hurting but it felt better then before the surgery.

Several people I know have had it done, and all have followed through with the therapy and done well. That is the key. Best of luck! You may want to have some hand projects ready to work on while you are laid up.

Blog Entries
    In 1978 I had a serious car accident which broke my pelvis and messed up my right knee. I struggled with problems as a result until finally there was no other choice! I had my right hip (March) and then right knee (October) replaced in 1998 when I was 43. Did really well with it and was able to ride a bike, walk so much better and the pain was worse on the knee than the hip but the end result was worth it.

HOWEVER, in 2002 I fell down a flight of stairs and hyperextended the replaced knee. It swelled of course but since there were no cuts or open abraisions, I thought putting ice on it and keeping it elevated for a couple of days was okay. It kept getting worse and two days later I called my doctor who had me come in right away. When I got to his office, they took my temp which was 105 and he sent me to the hospital from his office in an ambulance! Apparently a blood clot was formed which then allowed a staph infection to set in. I had to have three major surgeries including removing the replacement (yes no knee just a spacer) and being in a nursing home to finally beat the infection. My doctor has told me since that he was not sure at one point that he would be able to save my leg.

Now my left knee needs replacement but the horror of what I went through plus the fact that I am now diabetic which means healing is slower has kept me from having it. I am on disability and cannot walk without a cane and then not far.

Now I tell you this not to keep you from having the surgery, only to make you aware that when they tell you to have antibiotics before dental work or any kind of wound, please please do it! I would never want anyone to suffer through what I did.

Blog Entries
    my husband is 85 and diabetic and had both knees replaced last year. three months apart. should have been further apart.
    and my step son, about 50, had one knee done twice. both are doing fine now.

My husband just had it done in December. He's doing well.
    1. take your meds as instructed, be totally honest with your caretakers
    2. follow exercise and physical therapy exactly as instructed
    3. wallow in being pampered by someone that loves you
    4. eat healthy, and keep bowels moving normally for you
    5. be patient with what you do
    6. be sweet and remember to smile
    7. when you're not walking around, elevate your feet
    8. keep your mind active with things you can do - hand quilting, reading, computer, tv, telephone
    9. remember, healing is a good reason for some pain - when it's over, you will feel better than you have in a while
    10. did I say - be patient and sweet - anybody that can help, will gladly do just that

My husband's doctor demanded "I have to have your total attention for one month. You are to live entirely for the safety and concern for healing your knee. No other activities, period, without my permission. I will give you specific instructions." I'd say, hubby chose the right doctor - everything is working according to plan. This commitment to your healing is important, and be less stressful with less fear of the unknown.

my dh had one and was a lot of work rehabing but is doing great

I just had both knees replaced in August and doing great. I encourage you to get in to a pre-surgery exercise program (doctor can give you specific ones if you're disciplined enough to do them yourself) and it will make the recovery much easier. I'd built up muscles that came into use after surgery and made my recovery much faster than some. After 5 months, the only pain I feel is muscle pain when I'don't move enough. Some of the post surgery therapy was very painful, but it didn't last long and well worth the surgery.

Blog Entries
    Watterstide just had it done. Here is some of her info on it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88146-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    I just had both knees replaced in August and doing great. I encourage you to get in to a pre-surgery exercise program (doctor can give you specific ones if you're disciplined enough to do them yourself) and it will make the recovery much easier. I'd built up muscles that came into use after surgery and made my recovery much faster than some. After 5 months, the only pain I feel is muscle pain when I'don't move enough. Some of the post surgery therapy was very painful, but it didn't last long and well worth the surgery.
    KTBB,
    If you had to do it again, would you? I know everyone keeps saying "in six months you'll wonder why you waited so long", but I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone who's actually had it done. So I've got lots of questions. How long were you in the hospital?

By the way, I use to live in Fairbanks about 10 years ago. :thumbup:
    Spent a lot of time in Snow Goose quilt shop, wonder if its still there.

my mom's doing her's next week

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Watterstide just had it done. Here is some of her info on it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88146-1.htm
    Thanks for the info :D
    -Mary

I ha.d both mine replaced Sept. 1 last year. Definitely went way too long before having it done and am wondering now why I was so chicken for so long! Went to rehab hospital for two weeks and then home with a walker and cane. My leg muscles were so out of shape that my recovery has taken longer (I think, maybe I am just impatient), but I walk very well now and every week I find it is easier to get up from a chair and out of the car. So, do your exercises faithfully and strengthen those leg muscles. By the way, have to brag a little! I have 146 degrees in the left leg and 140 in the right! Good luck and recover well.

I had mine done in Dec. 2008 and it was the best thing I could have done. Am pain free and able to do things again, including some dancing. I am only in my mid 50's and recommend it to anyone who needs it. I do believe it is imperative that you get a good doc who is experienced at doing it.
    No doubt, it was painful at first; but if you do all your exercises and therapy as you are supposed to...you should have a very successful outcome. I will do my other knee with no hesitation if need be.
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbrwfy
    KTBB, If you had to do it again, would you? I know everyone keeps saying "in six months you'll wonder why you waited so long", but I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone who's actually had it done. So I've got lots of questions. How long were you in the hospital?

By the way, I use to live in Fairbanks about 10 years ago. :thumbup:
    Spent a lot of time in Snow Goose quilt shop, wonder if its still there.
    Yes, I'd definitely do it! I went to have a pedicure yesterday and realized that just extending my legs straight out was something I could now do without pain - it was actually relaxing for the first time in years! But...if you'd asked me that in the first couple of weeks after surgery I'd have had a different answer because of the initial pain. So you have to expect that initial pain, grit your teeth and know that it will go away. I was in an exercise class before surgery and there were things I just couldn't do and now, back in class, I'm doing them with no pain (still lots of perspiration, but no pain!). I was walking in a store the other day and realized that for the first time in several years I was doing it with limping from or feeling pain in my knees...it was a wonderful thing! The doctors, and others who have had the surgery, have told me that it will take up to a year for all the pain to go away, but it's almost totally gone now, and YES, I'd do it again...and I"m sure the pre-surgery exercises are one of the reasons I"m doing so well.

forgot about the hospital question...I was in for three days for post surgery care - up and walking within 24 hours then enough care to make sure I could get to bathroom and take care of myself - bathe, etc. Because I'd had both knees done, the doctor recommended that I consider going into an extended care place where they would do extra therapy to get me moving better and faster before I went home to deal with daily issues. My insurance paid for it, so I transferred to a different ward within the hospital (could have been an inpatient therapy site outside the hospital also) for about 4 days. They gave me therapy two or three times a day and well worth the time. When I went home, I had in=home care for therapy three times a week for about a month plus home health nurse taking care of blood tests, etc. Then graduated to out patient therapy for several weeks until they released me - started going there using walker, graduated to a cane, then did away with the cane before I left. The doctor and physical therapist both released me about 3 months after surgery, which is about normal timing from what I've heard.

And I know there is a quilt shop in Fairbanks, but not sure what it is since I don't go there very often.

Blog Entries
    i had both knees replaced. One in Nov. and one in Dec. Please do your thearpy in is fital to recovery. I am having a bout with gout and tendonist in my feet. Feet are trying to match my knees being realigned.My knees are not as painful as my feet.Good luck with surgery

Blog Entries
    A big part of the success of your surgery is up to you! My mom had her first knee replacement at age 61, she regained her mobility but it took her a couple of months. I love my mom, but she kind of leans toward self-pity. Sorry, I don't know how else to put it!
    The day before my mom had her surgery my grandmother fell and broke her hip, so her and mom ended up having joint replacements on the same day! :shock: My granny, despite being 83 (at the time) and partially blind recovered much faster. She just has that determination and positive mindset that I think is so important!
    So think positive and good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast