Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
total knee replacement surgery >

total knee replacement surgery

total knee replacement surgery

Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM

I had mine done in Dec. 2008 and it was the best thing I could have done. Am pain free and able to do things again, including some dancing. I am only in my mid 50's and recommend it to anyone who needs it. I do believe it is imperative that you get a good doc who is experienced at doing it.
No doubt, it was painful at first; but if you do all your exercises and therapy as you are supposed to...you should have a very successful outcome. I will do my other knee with no hesitation if need be.
Good luck!!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by mbrwfy
KTBB, If you had to do it again, would you? I know everyone keeps saying "in six months you'll wonder why you waited so long", but I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone who's actually had it done. So I've got lots of questions. How long were you in the hospital?

By the way, I use to live in Fairbanks about 10 years ago. :thumbup:
Spent a lot of time in Snow Goose quilt shop, wonder if its still there.
Yes, I'd definitely do it! I went to have a pedicure yesterday and realized that just extending my legs straight out was something I could now do without pain - it was actually relaxing for the first time in years! But...if you'd asked me that in the first couple of weeks after surgery I'd have had a different answer because of the initial pain. So you have to expect that initial pain, grit your teeth and know that it will go away. I was in an exercise class before surgery and there were things I just couldn't do and now, back in class, I'm doing them with no pain (still lots of perspiration, but no pain!). I was walking in a store the other day and realized that for the first time in several years I was doing it with limping from or feeling pain in my knees...it was a wonderful thing! The doctors, and others who have had the surgery, have told me that it will take up to a year for all the pain to go away, but it's almost totally gone now, and YES, I'd do it again...and I"m sure the pre-surgery exercises are one of the reasons I"m doing so well.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 AM

forgot about the hospital question...I was in for three days for post surgery care - up and walking within 24 hours then enough care to make sure I could get to bathroom and take care of myself - bathe, etc. Because I'd had both knees done, the doctor recommended that I consider going into an extended care place where they would do extra therapy to get me moving better and faster before I went home to deal with daily issues. My insurance paid for it, so I transferred to a different ward within the hospital (could have been an inpatient therapy site outside the hospital also) for about 4 days. They gave me therapy two or three times a day and well worth the time. When I went home, I had in=home care for therapy three times a week for about a month plus home health nurse taking care of blood tests, etc. Then graduated to out patient therapy for several weeks until they released me - started going there using walker, graduated to a cane, then did away with the cane before I left. The doctor and physical therapist both released me about 3 months after surgery, which is about normal timing from what I've heard.

And I know there is a quilt shop in Fairbanks, but not sure what it is since I don't go there very often.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 AM

i had both knees replaced. One in Nov. and one in Dec. Please do your thearpy in is fital to recovery. I am having a bout with gout and tendonist in my feet. Feet are trying to match my knees being realigned.My knees are not as painful as my feet.Good luck with surgery
Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 PM

A big part of the success of your surgery is up to you! My mom had her first knee replacement at age 61, she regained her mobility but it took her a couple of months. I love my mom, but she kind of leans toward self-pity. Sorry, I don't know how else to put it!
The day before my mom had her surgery my grandmother fell and broke her hip, so her and mom ended up having joint replacements on the same day! :shock: My granny, despite being 83 (at the time) and partially blind recovered much faster. She just has that determination and positive mindset that I think is so important!
So think positive and good luck!!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM

I have heard and have friends who have had it done. Said they wondered why they waited. They feel so much better adn life is grand again!