Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tradition (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tradition-t232436.html)

AngeliaNR 10-14-2013 03:47 PM

You are making me hungry! :)

Tothill 10-14-2013 04:51 PM

I always cook up the neck, giblets, heart and liver with onions celery and carrots. I only strain off the broth, I have never added the chopped up meat to the gravy.

I have a funny story about making gravy, at the inlaws. My mil had bought 6 packets of turkey gravy mix and 6 boxes of stove top stuffing. I went shopping and bought fresh stuffing ingredients including pork sausage meat and fresh herbs. I also put the neck etc in a pot with onion, carrot and celery to make a broth for the gravy.

I got the stuffing made and the bird in the oven. The broth was simmering nicely and I went for a walk. Came back and my fil decided to help and poured the broth down the drain and left the well cooked neck, vegies etc sitting on a plate. I could not believe it.

I like to switch up the dressing ingredients, but my family likes the same old meal. I often will cook a turkey in February and make interesting dressing to please me.

Edie 10-15-2013 03:15 AM

I have a memory here - I always put the neck, heart, giblets in a nice sized pan with celery leaves and onion, put that on the stove right away on Thanksgiving morning so as to start smelling up the house (that works better than a candle). Then around 11:00 or so, pregame show (?), #1 husband would want to know if the giblets were done. And I proudly went out with two small dishes and two forks and to my son I would say "Wanna neck?" and to my husband I would say "Have a heart." That was an all important part of our Thanksgiving dinners. Edie

gramacheri 10-15-2013 04:07 AM

You must be my long lost twin! Sounds just like my house. My husband always wants me to do a trial run sometime in October just to make sure I haven't forgotten how to do the turkey dinner thing! Good thing we love turkey. I must say, Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite meal to cook!!

Annaquilts 10-15-2013 04:20 AM

My mom would simmer it on the stove and make soup out of it that we would eat before the main course. The turkeys I get seem to have only a neck. We cook it along with the bird and eat it along with the bird. With roasted chicken it is the same way except it has all the parts, gizzard, heart, liver and neck. Actually sometimes it has extras of those parts. I do toss the liver inside the bird while cooking and the other parts underneath the tail. We serve it all with the chicken. different folks have their favorite parts. My mom used to also use chicken parts to make soup.

coopah 10-15-2013 04:34 AM

My mom did that when she cooked. I cook now and don't. I am not a gravy person, so that's probably why I don't do it.

quiltin-nannie 10-15-2013 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas (Post 6348528)
I put the neck and giblets in a sauce pan with chopped celery,onion,a little carrot. I simmer,then strain,then use with pan drippings. My family likes lots of gravy.

This is how I do it too!

trolleystation 10-15-2013 07:03 AM

Yes, that is part of the gravy prepration in our home.

Wanabee Quiltin 10-15-2013 07:06 AM

I always simmer my giblets, makes a wonderful flavor to my gravy and I add some to my dressing also. I am a girl from the north and we make dressing with bread cubes not cornbread. My dogs eat the meat!

wendiq 10-15-2013 07:49 AM

Giblet Gravy....Ah Yes! The flavors make my mouth water.....Hey! It's almost that time of year....LOL!